- advertisement -

Finally found a replacement for Moo Magic!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kara, May 5, 2009.

1. Kara

Kara Approved members

I was walking through the grocery store yesterday afternoon and spotted a sugar free chocolate milk mix to replace the hole that was left in our lives when the manufacturer discontinued Moo Magic. You can still buy it in bulk from this site here:

http://www.discountcoffee.com/moo_magic.htm

However, at Kroger they have a product called Milk Mix and it comes in little packets like Moo Magic. There are also Vanilla and Strawberry. There's a larger can that was very close to the boxes, but it's not sugar free like the little packets. They only have 2 grams per serving and are much lower than anything else I've found besides the Moo Magic.

This caused me to do a happy dance in the middle of the grocery aisle and get a lot of strange looks in the process! :D

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, why can't he have regular chocolate milk?

3. Kara

Kara Approved members

Well, we try to limit his carbs because too many cause a nasty spike. He's only 4 and a cup of regular chocolate milk can be more than 25 carbs, which is more than half of the amount of carbs that seems just right for him (around 45). Then we have to fill him up with meat or cheese which causes him constipation. Also, he quickly becomes hungry because a lot of his food was drink. This way we can make carbs work a little better for him. We do make exceptions to the carb number, obviously. But this just makes life a little bit easier in most cases.

4. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

You'll have to tell us how it tastes. Do you know why they discontinued moo magic?

I don't give Meghan chocolate milk or juice unless she is low. It shoots her blood sugar up to fast. So I really like this alternative. Thanks for the post :)

5. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Have you tried the Hershey's sugar free syrup mixed with white milk. It is 5 gms for 2 tablespoons and it takes about a tablespoon to make 8 oz choc milk.
    Good stuff per Tori!!

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Understood.....good luck...:cwds:

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Is this the disney/kroger brand??

We also keep chocolate syrup on hand, I make a strong choc milk sometimes on nights he is low and I need to get lots of carbs in to a sleeping boy!!

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

9. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We use this and it is delicious! :D

I'm not big on the Hood. It is a beverage vs. milk. It reminds me of a low sugar YooHoo.

Hershey used to make a Low Sugar Chocolate Milk that was only 13 carbs for 8oz but they no longer make it. It was GREAT!

10. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We will have to look for this, we were sad to see Moo Magic gone too..

Is this sold only at Krogers or where? And what Aisle is it on?

11. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Do you know if this is a Kroger specific brand? I don't live that far from where you are, but no Kroger close to where we live, they all closed years ago. Right now we've switched from choco syrup to Nestle Quik as it is fewer carbs but still a bit high.

12. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Sort of weird, but I use a little sugar free pudding mix to make flavored milk. If you use less powder and drink it before it "sets", it's pretty similar.

13. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

14. Kara

Kara Approved members

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions, they are really helpful. As for the ones I found, I've only seen it at Kroger so far. I was planning on checking Food City but I know for sure that Walmart didn't have anything the last time I was there. It doesn't have the usual labeling for Kroger brand but it might be a new product they are trying out. It's in the aisle with the other chocolate milk mixes. It was near the Disney but it was not the same. Here's a picture since that might be more helpful.

[​IMG]

Carter's tried all 3 flavors now and loves them. Success!

15. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks.