- advertisement -

filling pump from cartridge

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

At our second pump class today the pump rep said that if we draw insulin from a cartridge to fill the pump that we then cannot use the cartridge in a pen because it would no longer be accurate. Later the diabetes counselor indicated that he disagreed. He said there would be air in the cartridge and all one would need to do is shoot off the air and then it would be fine to use.

What do you all think?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Do you mean a pen vial? Of course it will still be usable (within 30 days). The pen is basically a caulk gun, it's the lowest tech thing ever.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

What pump are you using? I use pen vials to fill our pump (and we have never used a pen as a pen) and I put all 300u in the pump cartridge and then never have an "open" cartridge.

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We've used the cartridges in a pen after filling the pump. That's what we use for the back up in case of failure. You just need to make sure you get rid of the air in the cartridge by winding the pen up.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We use pen fill cartridges to fill the Omnipod and keep the vial as a back up in case we need to do an injection. We do have to prime out more air than if we didn't use it to fill the pod, but have not noticed any issues when using them.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.