- advertisement -

Field Trip

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandy092570, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

I have a question about field trips last year i was allowed to go on the bus with my son on field trip and this year they are saying that i am not allowed to go with him on the bus with him on the feild trip the teacher has only been showed how to use the gluegon my son is only in 1st grade and the nurse dosent go on field trips because there are only one nurse the teacher is not trained they said i would have to follow in the car but what if he has a low on the bus who is going to treat him and what if there is a chance that i cant go with out riding the bus because husband might have to work? Are there a way i can get this changed that i would be allowed to ride on the bus?

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I'd fight that. Our school has a policy of only a certian amount of parents allowed on the bus, and no kids who are too young to be in school. Now, I'd let Sophie go and follow in my car, but if you don't feel comfortable, I'd demand a sit down and explain your concerns, and if they don't listen, take it to your superintedent, or school board.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Does your son have a 504? If son, are field trips addressed in his 504?

If not, let me ask these questions...

When is the field trip?
    How long is the bus ride?
    Is the teacher willing to be trained on Glucagon since she has already been shown how to use it?
    Are other parents going on the field trip and following in their cars, so you can possibly ride with them if your husband has to work?

4. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

If not, let me ask these questions...

When is the field trip?
    How long is the bus ride?
    Is the teacher willing to be trained on Glucagon since she has already been shown how to use it?
    Are other parents going on the field trip and following in their cars, so you can possibly ride with them if your husband has to work?[/QUOTE]

The field trip is about 1 hour in a half away
    they showed her how to use the gluegon
    but i dont think she know how to give insulin and i dont know anyone from the school

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

What state are you in?

Our county has a policy that if the parent doesn't go then the nurse will go. Needless to say, they are happy that I am willing to go.

I would fight it if I were you.

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Do you have a 504? If not, I'd get one and specifically state that you, your DH, or a school nurse must accompany your child on field trips and be allowed to ride the bus to and from it.

Our district policy is not to have parents ride the bus for insurance purposes. However, I insisted due to the fact that the teachers do not know how to give glucagon, so I was able to go. It is now in our 504 for middle school.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Although it may not help with this field trip, you should still get a 504 in place and have something put in it regarding field trips.

I am sure that the teacher can put you in touch with another parent to catch a ride...everyone loves company on a long drive.

Does your son feel his lows? Does he have sudden drops? An option could be to test him right before he boards the bus and maybe run him a little higher..give the teacher a juice, snack and meter just in case.

I am sure that the school will work with you, the last thing they want is a medical emergency to happen on a field trip.

I am sure you will find a solution that works.

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely get a 504, and have it in there that a parent will be allowed to go on all field trips (on the bus), or a nurse will go. Just showing a teacher how to use the glucagon is not enough, IMHO.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Someone FULLY trained in diabetes care MUST be on that field trip, that includes the bus. So, if the nurse isn't going and the teacher isn't fully trained, that leaves you. I'd fight the 'no bus' rule all the way.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've never heard of a 1st grade field trip without a good ratio of parents to kids. Usually 1 parent for ever 6-8 kids, and the teacher. You just have to be one of the chaperoning parents and you have to be on the bus. Call the principal, call the guidance counselor, call the teacher but don't take no for an answer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I cannot imagine the school not having someone trained accompanying your son on the field trip. It is their responsibility to make sure that your son is safe, irregardless of whether you have a 504 or not. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If the teacher is not fully trained, some other arrangements need to be made. Just knowing glucagon for such a long trip is good, but it's not enough. They have to comfortably be able to administer insulin too and properly treat hi's and low's.
    Our school has actually hired a sub nurse to stay at the school so that the fully trained nurse can go on a trip.

I would speak with administration about either having adequate coverage or allowing you to go. 1st grade is awfully young to kind of wing it and follow behind IMO. I used to go as a full chaperone, my theory is "I'm there, I might as well pitch in and help out."

This is where the 504 comes in handy.

14. samheis

samheis Approved members

Have you found resolution to this yet? My son started 3rd grade this year, we are still going at it without a 504 (benefits of living in a very rural school district). Every year, before school starts, I meet the teacher, give her a statement of diabetes (as I affectionately call that dreaded letter about lows, highs, and special accommodations), and specify that I must have priority to go on field trips and a place on the bus as I don't have reliable transportation. Period.
    This year, I also met with the nurse (who we love!) and let her know that with my busy school schedule, she needs to be sure there is someone trained and available to accompany him on the chance I can not.
    Don't let the teachers bully you. Diabetes is not taught in teacher training as fully as other diseases (asthma, allergies, etc). They do not understand the disease or it's implications to instruction. That's why it's our jobs to be our child's' advocates. Good luck!

15. indiancreekmom

indiancreekmom Approved members

This is our first year with dx, 3rd grade and when I met with the principal and nurse before the year began, they insisted that I will be picked to go on the field trip (they put all the names of the parents that want to go and pull from a hat the number that they need) they did not want to be responsible so I would fight this. I can't imagine going through this without such a good nurse and support system at the school, she is the only one with type 1 and gets top care by everyone, they even have a substitute on hand if the nurse should have to leave the building and she emails me her numbers every day. We are so blessed. Good luck.

16. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Sometimes it helps to get the school authorities to actually put into words what they are suggesting. The school knows that they cannot require a parent to go on a field trip to ensure the safety of a child they are responsible for. They also know that parents will volunteer in order to spare their child the disappointment of missing something. But the school cannot legally tell you to keep your child home, and cannot legally have the child go to another class for the day. You definitely need a 504 to help educate them as to their legal responsibilities. If you are actually willing to go on the trip they have to let you ride the bus.

17. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

This is what our School requires. Someone fully trained must go (their policy). So we ran into this a month ago. Nurse could not go. So they called me to see if I could go (they had already call the other d student's mom and she was going). Turned out I could not go (work meetings). So I told them I would just keep her home since I could not go... The nurse said NO, do not keep her home and miss the field trip they will take care of it. The nurse called me back 1 hour later and said they will be sending a Paramedic with her on the trip. And just so you know the Paramedic rode the bus....she didn't want him to sit in the same seat with her though;)

18. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Funny how that happens. The nurse was nice to recognize that she shouldn't have to miss something fun like a field trip. She may also have been aware that it is ILLEGAL for a school to have a child stay home because they could not provide her with a safe way to participate in a school event. Not only do they loose the daily attendance amount for her absence, they can be sanctioned and/or fined.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hopefully next field trip you can do some planning ahead of time to work things out so that a paramedic doesn't need to go. I know all children are different, but Danielle would have been mortified to have to have a paramedic accompany her on a field trip.

20. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

They called me the day before the field trip, a little more notice and I could have made arrangements.

The children were told he was there for everybody so if they needed him, just let him know :D. The field trip was a hike through the woods to some swamp for sample taking and other environmental stuff so it didn't look like he was just there for her! Other kids with cuts, scraps and bug bites they got on the field trip went to him too.