advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiction for Tweens with realistic diabetic characters

Discussion in 'Diabetes Book Club' started by MomofSweetOne, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When my DD was first diagnosed, she wanted to read books with diabetic characters in them. She tried several popular ones (Babysitter's Club,etc.) but in every book, the characters were passing out from low BGs. It was NOT what she wanted to read when dealing with the emotions and fears of a new diagnosis. Then we found the RPM series by Chris Fabry. Books #3 and #4 contain characters that just live normally with diabetes. They were written shortly after his own son was diagnosed with Type 1. The books are well-written with lots of cliff-hangers. We highly recommend them! The main character of one of his adult books, Almost Heaven, also has Type 1.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Thanks for the info - I've seen that series at the library but haven't checked them out. I'll point them out to DD next time we're there!

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Lurlene Mcdainel has a really good book about a diabetic, It is kinda scary (She stops taking her insulin to lose weight adn ends up at the hospital) but its based in the 80's so I found it very eduvation about how they used to take care of diabetes and how far science has come! Its called for all the days of her life