- advertisement -

FIASP Anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sprocket, May 24, 2017.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

There is a new ultra fast insulin made by Novo Nordisk here in Canada called Fiasp. It says you can bolus 2 minutes before to 20 minutes after a meal. Being new, it is not covered by any plan or government health insurance, but I am tempted to ask my DD endo for a script to give it a go and pay out of pocket. Novorapid takes 45 - 60 minutes to work in the AM, and pre-bolusing for lunch at school is not practical for my DD (16). We can also buy insulin here without a prescription, so I may be brave and get some to try.
    Anyone else (aside from the US - I know it's not available there yet) tried Fiasp yet?
    P.S. We have tried Apidra and don't love it. It's faster, and works well when she's in range, but often doesn't get the job done with corrections - especially if she's higher

2. sey76

sey76 Approved members

I don't know anything about Fiasp other than our dietitian did mention it. She said that she has heard it works really well, however only approved so far for adults.
    Good luck.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I know a couple of people who are using it and loving it. I also know a person who hated it and has given up. Her descriptions of it reminded me of our less-than-stellar experience with Apidra; yes, it worked faster, but try as I might I couldn't adjust to stop the wild yo-yoing from highs to lows all the time.

I think that if your daughter pumps, you may find yourself doing a lot of extended/combo/square wave/dual wave boluses so that it doesn't exit the system before the slower carbs really go to work! Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely one more thing to manage!

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

So how does it differ from Apidra?

5. Sprocket

"Fiasp is an innovative formulation of insulin aspart that more closely matches the natural physiological insulin response of a person without diabetes, after a meal, compared with NovoRapid (conventional insulin aspart). Two excipients have been added to Fiasp’s formulation, Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) to increase the speed of absorption, and a naturally occurring Amino Acid (L-Arginine) for stability."

So it is Novo Nordisk's ultra rapid insulin.

My DD is on MDI and has a CGM. Apidra works well if she is in range, but if she's over 10mmol or we're correcting a high, it has almost no affect. We go back to good old Novorapid to correct. I am thinking that perhaps FIASP, since it's made by Novo Nordisk, may work better. She is also on Levemir x2/day. I am thinking Fiasp may be a good choice for mornings when she is particularly insulin resistant and Novorapid takes 45 minutes + to kick in.

6. Sprocket

So to update, we have been trying Fiasp for a few weeks now. We really like it. DD takes it at the same time she eats and it seems to head off spikes very nicely. Her CGM graph looks quite flat. It is not for pediatric use yet, but our diabetes team agreed to let us try it (DD is 15 and 3" taller than me). We still use novorapid for longer action carbs like pasta. I believe this new insulin has some real promise. It works as quickly as it says it does.