advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFL People - reports?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jul 14, 2009.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Okay, I've waited this long! Anyone have anything to report from FFL? Any interesting conversations with vendors? Any interesting products on the horizion? Any interesting speakers?

I am also dying to hear from someone who attended the MM MySentry focus group and has anything to report from that!

Anyone?

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I attended the MySentry focus group, but I'm not sure what to say about it. It was neat to see it in person - it's bigger than I thought it would be. I was picturing an alarm clock...it's more like an eight inch by eight inch box! Numbers are very easy to see, display is backlit which is nice. It will most likely not work with our current MM pumps...we will have to upgrade to the next level. I knew that already, but apparently some folks didn't, so there was a good bit of upset in the room especially from folks who just bought the MM pump.

Release date will be sometime in 2010 - that's all they could say. They couldn't say how much it would cost, but they figure insurance will not cover it. It will have battery backup but will definitely be AC powered, so it's not designed for portability. There are two pieces to it...the big display and then a smaller box, about the size of a pump, that has to be within a few feet of the person wearing the pump/CGMS. It's a transmitter box that transmits the signal from the CGMS receiver/transmitter to the MySentry display unit.

Bottom line...they supposedly haven't decided what they are going to charge for it, it's being submitted for FDA approval attached to the next-generation pump, insurance isn't going to cover it, and they anticipate its arrival sometime in 2010. Coverage should be sufficient for a 2300 square foot house (might have been 2600 - I can't remember exactly), but if you have a bigger house than that, you will need one on each floor or whatever to make up the difference. They are currently testing repeaters, that would send the signal from one box to the next to the next so that one monitor would still be enough.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but ask me questions - I will see if I wrote down the answers or can remember them!!

FFL was awesome, of course...I'll post more about that later!

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Can you tell me a little about Medtronic's next generation pump? It now makes sense to me why they haven't released the parent monitor since they are integrating it with a next generation pump. That could take a while. We are pump shopping again and we are leaning towards the Animas.

Ironically 2 years ago Medtronic was my top choice if we couldn't order the Omnipod. I felt Cozmo would be a better fit when Adin was school age (RIP :( Cozmo) and Animas hadn't realeased anything new in a long while. Now it's vice versa. It is true what they say "go with the pumps that are available now and let the future sort itself out". :cwds: Technology will evolve regardless.

4. hawkeyegirl

Shelley, I believe the next pump will:

1. Have 0.025 basal rate capability.
    2. Be MySentry ready.
    3. Show IOB on the pump status screen.
    4. "Fix" the problem where you can't use the linked meter if you have CGM.
    5. *I think* the CGM will have the new, improved sensor algorithm that is on the Veo, which is out in Europe now.

That's all I can think of right now. I'd suggest that you get ahold of a Ping and a MM, and a Dexcom, and play with all of them if you haven't already.

ETA: Thank you, Jennifer. I don't know how to feel about MySentry yet. It sounds nice, but it seems that the technology is out there to make it smaller, more portable, etc.

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Thanks Karla. ;) Didn't mean to hijack your thread. We definitely will be trialing all the pumps and cgms this time around.

I also agee with your ambivalence to the MySentry. It just seems like they could incorporate better technology to make it smaller and portable. But I haven't seen it yet :rolleyes: it could be the bees knees when I finally do. Adin's current ped endo prefer's the Medtonic pump to the others and is intrigued by the Veo.

Any other reports from FFL? I wonder when they will have a re-cap up to view.

6. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I honestly didnt see anything new and improved at the exhibit hall. I guess we are "up to date":). We did get a Wavesense meter. It is cool, but we use the PING remote, so really dont need it.

Omnipod rep said they had seen the new pod and it was slightly smaller. It will work with Dexcom and be able to see dex and pod on the pod pdm. They said dex should work with pod in 2010, not sure when the new pod would be released.

Really nothing new to report, IMO.

I went to a session on Nocturnal Hypoglycemia that was honestly pretty frightening. The Doc. leading the session was definitely a proponent of CGMS. I felt bad for any "newbies" in the room. Very interesting data though.

I didnt do the focus groups, so maybe someone else has something to add from that. I loved, loved, loved meeting other CWDrs though! :) My children had a great time too....just not a whole lot of "new" info.

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I did not attend, but I know "our Ellen" received the Jeff Hitchcock Service Award!! Can someone chime in on that if they were at the banquet? :D

8. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Yes, I am sorry I forgot that, Ellen did win the service award. She was very surprised and very humble. We are so fortunate to have Ellen to always provide words of wisdom and great articles!!! It was a pleasure meeting her too!

This award is presented at the dinner on Thursday night. Last year's recipient was Tom (Diabetes Dad) Karlya.

BTW I hope my previous post didnt sound too "underwhelmed". Dont get me wrong, the conference is a great experience and I highly recommend it for all CWDrs. I just didnt see any "new" products at the exhibit hall. I know there are products in the works, this just wasnt the year to introduce them!

9. dqmomof3

There were definitely a few vendors missing from last year...Cooler Concepts wasn't there, and more conspicuously, Bayer was absent.

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Yes, Jennifer, I thought the exhibitor area was definitely "lighter" this year. I am sure the economy has something to do with it. I was hoping Bayer would have a video with Nick Jonas at their booth, but hey - not even a booth...interesting!

By the way, I enjoyed meeting you and sitting next to you at the Moms chat! :)

My dd loved getting a skin for her Ping pump and we have enough backpacks to last for 10 years!!!

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Not to hijack, but when Abby was at D camp, they had a vendor fair also. It too was much lighter on reps than in the past. Obviously, it's tough all around.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would love to hear more about this or to see any info given out or a place to get the info. After our recent nocturnal issues, I really want to get CGMS and am willing to throw every grim looking thing I can at my ex to convince him!

13. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

The Medingo patch pump looked very interesting.. Kind of like the omnipod... but much much smaller... and you can replace the insulin in the pump....

14. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I do believe the presentations will be posted on the site at some point. It was very informative and would be great for fighting for a CGMS. I was sitting with Michelle and actually mentioned Coco to her during the presentation. It was like he was talking about her recent seizure.

The main point was that a lot of lows are gone undetected during the night. Several hours of lows lead to seizure!!!!

They also were testing a closed loop system that shut the pump off when a low was "projected" by an algorithim. This was successful in preventing the majority of lows. It was interesting and scary at the same time.

Would be great, great, great info to present to the insurance companies.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

AAhhh...Coco got a shout out :D to bad it was from a stupid seizure :mad: Yeah - still a little angry about the entire thing! I hope, hope, hope that it gets posted!

16. hawkeyegirl

Susan, was it Dr. Buckingham who gave that presentation? If so, I think he gave some of that information at the Focus on Technology seminar in Chicago in April. That presentation was not about nocturnal hypos specifically, but he did show sensor reports from kids who had seizures at night, and also talked about the closed loop system that anticipates hypos and shuts off the pump accordingly. It was fascinating.

17. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Exactly - it was Dr. Buckingham. Very interesting. The title of the session was - Nocturnal Hypoglycemia - Is it safe to sleep?

18. hawkeyegirl

He did two different presentations at the Chicago seminar, and I loved both of them. He just knows EVERYTHING there is to know about pumps and CGM and what is going on with the AP research. I would have loved to have kidnapped him and tied him up in my hotel room for a few hours just to pick his brain. My husband convinced me that such things are probably frowned upon in civilized society, so I had to make do with peppering him with questions for a few minutes after his talk. :rolleyes:

(If you're reading this, Dr. Buckingham, I'm not crazy. Really. I promise. :p)

19. dqmomof3

I seem to have a child with the opposite problem...nearly always hyper, not hypo. The last three nights in a row, I have done a 3am check and she's been over 300. The nights before that, though, a perfect number in the 120s. Go figure.

Susan, I enjoyed meeting you as well - and finally figuring out what the "mhp" stands for, LOL! Are you sure it isn't mobile home park? :)

And GAPeach, if you're reading, I enjoyed meeting you too - just haven't gotten around to PMing you back yet!!

20. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I see in your signature that you are using a CGM, so I am curious about why you still have to do 3am checks and that she is that high without alarms going off? We have the Navigator high alarm set at 160, so there are never any surprises like that now. That is one of the main advantages of using it for me. No more surprise high readings in the morning or anytime really, holding my breathe for the number to come up on the meter.