- advertisement -

Fever and sore throat

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Meredithsmom, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Meredith started running a low grade (100) fever last night. She's been complaining of a sore throat for a few days. Over night she complained of a headache as well. I've been treating symptoms and pushing fluids. Numbers running in the mid 200's with corrections. Ketones have been negative. Now she says her throat hurts more and she's getting a stuffy nose. Fever is up to 102. She looks absolutely miserable.

So, how long do I wait to call. Strep and influenza A and B are running rampant at school. If she has something, I'd like to get her on something to feel better soon. But if it's viral I really don't want to take her in to a germ filled clinic/urgent care. I feel so helpless when my kids are sick.

2. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

My youngest had strep recently. One moment he was fine, and the next he had a fever right off the bat of 102 that lasted for a good 12 hours or so. I gave him children's Tylenol to bring down the fever, and the next day it was completely gone. Then later that night, it reared its ugly head again. It was touch and go for about three days or so before I finally realized what he had. He wound up developing a rash and that's when I took him to the doctor so they could put him on amox to treat it. I would venture to guess that what your daughter is coming down with is more along the lines of a head cold or the flu, but I could be wrong. I know that sore throats are typically caused by a viral infection, and with strep, other symptoms like sneezing and a stuffy or runny nose aren't present. I would definitely call the doctor if her fever continues to rise, or if it lasts more than 3 or 4 days and she starts to develop a rash.

I was told by our pediatrician that a fever up to 102 is actually beneficial in that it helps the body kill of whatever it's fighting, so at this point I'd just keep an eye on her to see what happens. You can always give straight Tylenol to bring down that fever, or even Tylenol cold and flu to help with the other symptoms she's experiencing. I certainly hope she feels better soon!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. shannong

shannong Approved members

Fever and sore throat - I would get her seen. Typically, strep does not involve cold symptoms. Usually the can do a quick swab and see if it is strep. This is not as accurate as when they culture it, but results are instantaneous. When sickness involves fever, my approach is to get my kids seen right away. It doesn't mean that they always go on antibiotics. If the doctor thinks it's viral rather than bacterial, well I'm still glad I went.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Our doc said if they have a headache with a sore throat then they want to check for strep.

5. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Sadly, it's probably strep. Three of us had it in our house 2 wks ago and it's the same symptoms. Get her in and she'll start to feel much better!

6. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Rapid strep was negative. We are treating it as influenza. The doc didn't want to test for it cuz it wouldn't change the treatment. Fever still there. And now moderate ketones.