- advertisement -

Feeling the insurance $$ pain for 2014

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Starting in 2018 doesn't alter the fact that many employers are doing away with the option well ahead of the deadline. If your employer chooses to change their policies well ahead of the deadline and your options lessen, it doesn't really matter when the actual change happens. What matters is you have lesser coverage, often for more money. This is reality for many.

As the employer (not under these guidelines as we have few employees), we're scrambling to try to reduce costs. It's not easy.

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I hate our new insurance. My DH's work is pushing the HDP. Luckily they dump 1k into it for us. We met out max OOP in Feb due to me having surgery so we have been stocking up on pump supplies. The ACA is not the way to go. The government NEEDs to stay out of our medical issues. My mom has been telling me things that are going on in her office and it just breaks my heart. Patients are calling and there are no Dr.'s who are accepting medicare anymore. Health costs need to go down in general. Which means people need to stop being so sue happy and the hospitals need to stop charging an arm and a leg for things. I mean having a baby costing 15k, really. And yes I do realize that people need to be paid.
    Our insurance has been going up slowly over the last 5 yrs. Basically as soon as the ACA started rolling. Hope it can get repelled. I may be flamed for this but I don't care.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm not sure yet what's happening except that my copays are going to be increasing from $20 to $35 per visit, and that my deductible is going up.
    Especially as I'm going to be changing insurance policies during 2014, I'm thinking I'm going to get as much done as I can before the end of 2013.

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We are also on a plan as a federal employee and so far there have been no changes despite the fact that we are paying personally since my wife is part time. Next year she will probably go back to being full time in part because if the rates do go up it would be far better for us to have her employer paying for most of it. I hate that we have to make decisions based on this rather than for other reasons.

What I hate more is hearing stories from you all who are being *&^%$#. We should not have someone else picking winners and losers. Yes there were several better ways to fix the problems that we had in healthcare but our politicians on both sides of the aisle wanted something more like this no matter what they tell you about their fights among themselves.

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

The problem is that in this country, unless you are self-pay, you are dealing with insurance.

Insurance may be governed by what is "medically necessary" but this "system" is certainly not governed by actual need.

I guess if you want care based on need, we need something like the NHS from the UK. But of course, nobody trusts the government. I certainly don't trust politicians to "do the right thing". If politicians could do the right thing, maybe we would all have decent insurance that is not governed by a bunch of administrative rules.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Holy crap... if that was what my insurance deductibles were I'd be OVER THE MOON.

Mine is 3000k per person, 10k max per family.. and it's been that way for a while now, it's not an 'obamacare' change. We don't have any other coverage options because it's the only plan offered through my husband's small company.

Some of us already had it suckier than you, only I've never started a thread complaining about it - I just make it work.

7. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Yeah, ours is - and has been for years - 5600 family deductible, then 80/20 coverage for another 6K before we hit our out of pocket limit. This year (diagnosis, helicopter ride to PICU, and an insulin pump) is the first year we have ever met our deductible (and max out of pocket).

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm with you! Self employed here and have had horrendous insurance for the past 3 years! $3000 deductible w negotiated price on everything! Could we switch? No...because of dd's dx. Now we have options and they are so much better for us!