- advertisement -

Feeling empowered with hospital admissions - lessons learned

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Apr 12, 2011.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Sadly Ava is back at Children's. She was admitted Saturday night with a nasty gi bug. It's a doozy.

Last October she was admitted for four days so between the two we've learned quite alot. Here are some key tips.

1. Bring your own stuff. Must have items are Precision ketone strips, your own lancing device, pump supplies and meter. Hospitals are still using urine ketones, only checking every three hours even if you want to test more and the hospital lancets are pure evil.

2. Bring food your child will eat. Particularly if they have celiac. Nuff said.

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, be proactive and talk daily with the endrocrin team and demand that they lead your child's care. If you don't agree with a decision that a doctor or nurse says, stay calm and repeat these words. "Please call the endocrine team, and follow their suggestion, thank you."

When we knew we were headed to the ER, I called ahead and had the endocrine doc on call paged and told her we were coming in. This way the doctor leading your childs' care is an experienced endo, not what ever overtired ER doc who happens to be there when you come in.

Each day, she and I spoke on the phone, agreed on a plan, then I'd hand the phone to the doctor in charge and the endo would expain what to write in the orders. This made life SO much easier. The first time Ava was in the hospital, I believe doctors who were not as familiar with diabetes made some choices that kept exacerbating the situation.

This time, I felt empowered with a plan that the endo and I both agreed to. Still several nurses and doctors had weird unexperienced things to say. (Are you SURE you don't want the sugar free jello? You know it's got carbs in it?) and "If she's over 250, we'll have to correct with a syring." (Yeah, she's sick, you're pouring dextrose through an IV drip, she's going to be over 250, I am NOT going to correct with a sryring.) So I would just say, "I'm sorry, please call the endo." It is my new mantra. When faced with nurses on power trips, simply smile and say "Please call the endo." Lather rinse repeat.

Assume that the doctors and nurses if they are not CDE's do not know as much as they think they do.

But DO follow the endo's recommendation as they will help you get through what ever evil bug has brought your dear one to the hospital.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I really appreciate this post.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Joy, Sorry to hear that Ava is in the hospital. I hope she has a speedy recovery and back home very soon.

Great advice - thank you for taking the time to share it:cwds:

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I completly agree, although we have not been admitted, we have been to the ER twice with stomache bug issues and Ketones and low BG.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I hope she is feeling much better soon. Thanks for the info. :cwds:

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry you're dealing with another hospital admission. :(

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I'm sorry Ava's had to be admitted to the hospital.

Thank you for taking the time to post what you have learned. It's very valuable information.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Great post and such a wonderful message of empowerment :cwds: though I'm sorry Ava had to be hospitalized for us to get it.:(

Hope she's feeling terrific now!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but thank you for sharing this information. Very, very useful.

10. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Sorry to hear about Ava. I hope she is going to feel better soon. What a drag. I will keep your tips in mind - it is such useful advise. Please let me know if you need anything (babysitter, meal, a drink:D)
    Hang in there Joy!

11. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Great advice! From a practical standpoint, we keep a "hospital bag" that's stocked with magazines/books, toiletries, "Non-D" snacks for mom, cellphone chargers, insurance contact information, hand sanitizer....um...fresh undies (plus pajamas)...laundry soap, and LOTS AND LOTS of quarters for fussy vending machines and coin-operated washers and dryers.

12. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Sorry, I forgot straws. Straws are important for little one with type one that might need a nurse's station juice.

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Great advice Joy. Praying for Ava's speedy recovery.

14. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sorry to hear Ava is sick.. I hope she gets to feeling better very soon! I know all to well about getting stuck in the hosital with a nasty GI bug, Cayden has had this happen 2 times in the last year as well..

GET BETTER SOON AVA!

15. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Thanks all, Ava is home but still not herself. Poor bunny got a whopper of a tummy bug. The whole hospital was filled to capacity with kiddos who had no underlying conditions but still needed to be admitted for IV fluids.

YIKES! So it started on Saturday, she got home Thursday evening. BUT it's Friday night and she still hasn't kept down solids. :( Hoping she'll be able to eat more tomorrow. Poor thing.

On a weird, ironic twist of fate, her BG numbers are FANTASTIC. Her CGM is a beautiful flat line and she hasn't been above 140 in 24 hours. Of course the fact that she hasn't eaten anything besides broth and honey might have something to do with that.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

so glad Ava is home, I hope she's back to 100% soon!

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Poor little girl! I hope Ava and Mommy feel better soon!

18. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Glad to hear Ava is home, hope she's feeling better soon :cwds:

At the hospital I work at, I was pleasantly surprised that they test blood ketones using the Precision Xtra meter (called Optium Xceed here, but exactly the same meter). Its even hospital policy to test anyone with a blood sugar of over 15mmol/L (270 mg/dl) for blood ketones, even the Type 2's and non-diabetics (tested because they're on steroids). They do use the horrible hospital lancets but I guess its necessary for infection control to use self-contained single-use lancet devices. You really have to push really hard to activate them, they're horrid!