- advertisement -

Feedback on a dinner episode

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Not that we want to see 295's for our kids, but you can't beat yourself up when they happen. Could part of it be an adrenaline high from the basketball game?

I'm thinking whatever adds gluten would add hidden carbs? Especially at a restaurant that doesn't have published nutrition info and that you are guestimating for anyway?

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

After years of practice there are some things that she simply doesn't eat, or only eats at lunchtime. It is simply not worth losing so much sleep over to fight highs all night long. French fries are only eaten at lunch. Mac and cheese AND fries, not a chance. What about a green veggie with that meal, or salad? Fruit and cottage cheese is something that we have around always and can be ordered at a restaurant also. We also limit meals out, even if it means breakfast for dinner or soup and sandwiches, etc. It's not just about diabetes, it's about balance and teaching them to eat a decent diet. I'm not judging anyone, just adding what works for us. It may be easier for us because our daughter detests seeing her CGM going up, especially quickly.

3. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We are like Melissata ... there are just some foods my daughter only eats at lunch just because she feels so crummy when she goes high later at night, such as pizza, burgers, & fries. But on a positive, we were always healthy eaters, but diabetes has really made up conscious of our meals especially at night. So when I have to have a meal in 15 minutes or less, I can always whip up a salad, fruit, and grilled pork chops or salmon ... and if I was smarter I could probably figure out my crock pot :p

However, when she does gorge on the pizza and burger ... we have used our CGM to develop a formula that works great for her during the day. I think it is tricky at night because your metabolism is slower and additional insulin on board at night can also be tricky for us meaning for more night checks

I am sure you will love the CGM, we do, it will give you so much insight! good luck with it!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

While I don't really get all "diabetic" about my dd's diet, even before D I wouldn't have gone along with a cheese burger, fries and mac & cheese.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've found this too. Chinese food is the biggie. Pizza (I think because of the type she eats) is ok with a combo, fries are iffy (depends on activity leading up to it). Ice cream from a stand...daytime or early afternoon. It just isn't worth chasing the numbers all night.
    Diabetes or no diabetes, for both kids, we've moved into the land of really working at food choices. So, if you get a burger and it comes with fries, the other kid gets the side salad or veggies instead of fries and you each get half. If they complain that they are starving, then they each get a salad, and still go along with the 1/2 fries but then we throw in veggies.

As a PP said, sometimes it is fun to go out and have a really decadent meal. But, you have to be prepared for the fact that you'll be having some crazy numbers. It is one day in many, so you need to either accept that you've be chasing highs and beat yourself up over it, or say it is what it is and chase the numbers and know tomorrow is another day.

6. Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Approved members

Ok I know I am only two weeks in but 295 at night is good for us?! By 6:30 am he is around 100 and dropping! The doctor has told us that he wants us in the 200's for now even though his target in the day is 150 and 180 at night. We rarely see those numbers though and when I see anything in the 100's I am watching him like a hawk! I can't even imagine hitting and staying at the target numbers... let alone knowing which foods and amounts will keep him there.

I am betting I should save this post and look back and laugh at myself in the near future.....

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Your son is young, and newly diagnosed...so if a 200 at beditme is working for you, go with it.