advertisement

Fed up

Discussion in 'Teens' started by mmnelson, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mmnelson

mmnelson New Member

i was diagnosed shortly after i turned 13 in may so i only had
    8 months of my teen freedom...now im about to turn 16 in september
    but one problem leads to another....every since my 3rd a1c check i have had
    nonstop 11-12.4 ...but my bllodsugar hardly ever goes over 280..(still bad i no) but never below 200

but its gotten to the point im needing 30 or so units of novalog till i go to 90...

Even so i have doctors , teachers (dont get me started on them) my own family amd frienss!!
    telling me "oh i no what your going through..my sis or my aunt, cousin, uncle ,father or whoever has it..NO DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST FREAKING CLUE!!!!
    do i need to poke ur fingers 6 times a day or give 5 or more shots a day for it to sink in!!!
    instead of saying you no what im dealing with...
    im tired of crying at night..feeling alone and like a freak around everyone...and yes ive had people ask me if
    its contaigous....then theres the sub. who tried to give me a write up for needing the nurse since i blacked out with 489
    im tired of getting the blame and being accused when i have the bruised arms, stomach and legs to prove it.
    :(

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are struggling. I agree with you, people really don't know what living with this disease is like unless they actually do it.

You said you "get the blame". Who is blaming you and what are they blaming you about?

Have you thought about seening a therapist to talk about your feelings? It may help. Good luck.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

If your bg never goes below 200, you really do need to talk to someone about adjusting your insulin routine. If you are on injections, it may be that your Lantus (or Levemir) needs to be increased or your I:C ratios are off. Same with the pump. Please do yourself the biggest favor and see both a therapist who specializes in chronic conditions AND an endo who can fine tune your program so that you can feel better most of the time. You are worth it! The more success you feel with taking care of yourself, the better you'll feel about having T1D.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time :(

16 is a really difficult age with diabetes. Is your endo helpful at all? Do you have a CDE you can call?

It looks like your average blood sugar is around 280 based on your A1C. So I am guessing you are getting far too little insulin. I bet you don't feel that great because your blood sugar is always so high--- I bet though, if you can get down to say an average of 180, you will feel a lot better!

It sounds like you are on injections. Since you are high all of the time you probably need more basal (lantus or levimer). Do you know how to adjust that yourself? If not, you should call your endo and make sure they help you do that.

A few other questions:

1. Can you give me a ballpark figure of what you weigh?

2. How much insulin do you take per day in total?

3. Do you have any lows at all (under 70)?

If you could post a days worth of numbers that could also help us get an idea of what is going on here. The reason I am asking for your weight is to get an idea of if you might be dealing with some insulin resistance (which is not at all abnormal in teens). In that case there are some medications that can help a lot with that.

I'm sorry the people in your life are not more supportive. I think it would be useful for you to talk to a social worker or psychologist at your endo clinic to get some ideas for coping with this difficult situation.

I can tell you that diabetes really does get easier as you get a bit older (I'm 19 now and things are much more stable than when I was 16). And kids get a lot more mature in college as well so you will be dealing with less ignorance about diabetes soon. Hang in there :cwds:

5. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Hi mmnelson,

My name is Lucy. I have been a T1 since I was 10.
    And while I am sure you are tired of hearing it, I know how you feel.
    Its a daily struggle and dealing with ignorant people just adds to it.

I was really depressed last year, for most of the year, and finally started to get help with my depression earlier this year.
    It was really bad last year for me. I had several nights that I would stare at the novolog vial with the empty syringe next to it, thinking about ending it all.
    I couldn't tell you why I never did it, but things have gotten better.

They will for you to. I don't want you to get to that point that I was at.
    Please message me if you want to talk.

A few things I can say is,

I am assuming you are on MDI, since your post said taking shots everyday.
    I would suggest talking to your endo about your I:C ratio, as well as your long acting insulin dosage and the time that you take that dosage.

Also, do you rotate shot locations regulary? If not, your body might not be properly absorbing the insulin you are injecting.

And part of being around your age is having hormones going crazy. It does affect blood sugars.
    I'm turning 18 in the fall, but I can tell you that my blood sugars, while still all over the place sometimes, are more stable than when I was your age. (does that make me sound old? :p )

High school is hard. I won't tell you that high school gets better. But when you graduate, it does get better. College is better.

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. I had someone tell me once that it was "a minor thing that I should deal with, and then go on with my life"
    Ignorant people have no idea all that D entails. How much more we have to think about things, worry, and deal with.

Again, feel free to message me. I check this site at least once a day.

6. diabee

diabee New Member

I was diagnosed at 13.
    when those things were happening to me i was really angry too, but now i try to make it funny.
    heres a few stories:
    I had a teacher who must have not understood diabetes at all, when i had to go to the nurse he would tell me to make it fast or ask me if i could wait until he was finished talking. at the beginning of the year it use to make me so mad, but at the end i just kept saying "of course ill wait!.. but i might die, and if i do everyones going to blame you:) He never asked me to wait again.

At the mall with my mom one day and i wanted one of those really delicious auntie annes pretzels, after begging for an hour she finally let me eat one, when i asked for a drink she asked me if i was high, i saw someone walking by (who obviously didn't know what she was talking about) give my mom a strange look, so i decided to make it even better by saying "YES MOM IM SO HIGH AND SO THIRSTY! IVE BEEN HIGH ALL DAY AND MY B-S JUST WONT COME DOWN" the looks from everyone were priceless.

Going out to eat before i was on the pump was great. when you pull your needles out and get strange looks from people, just hold the needle in the air and flick out all the bubbles and start slapping your arm.
    Sometimes when i met new people id give them my needle and say "you have to give me a shot or I'm going to die" they would freak out but everyone of them did what i asked:)

All I'm saying is you have to learn to laugh, make it fun. no its not a good thing to have it, but its not going away. its like an annoying sibling, you just have to deal

7. Jadi_forever

Jadi_forever New Member

I know exactly what you're going through. I was diagnosed when I was 7 years old so you can say I didn't have any teenage freedom! If you want to talk, I'm always here. :)

8. Vannie

Vannie Approved members

I know the pain. Not only have I had teachers who refused to let me go to the nurse -to which I walked out of the classroom and nearly got written up-, but I've had cops try to arrest me because my backpack fell open in the park and needles and vials spilled out. Totally humiliating. Plus, I go to a school that doesn't even have a nurse, so I'm on my own. I have to check my blood in class and bring my stuff too and from school.

I also hate it when I check in class, and suddenly everyone wants to know my number. Once, when I was high and everyone wanted to know my number, I snapped, "It's my number, not yours; feel free to stab yourself and find out your own f-ing number." Almost got written up for that....

And, like Jadi, I would consider you lucky for your freedom. Frankly, most of this site was lucky for the freedom; I've had it since I was one. You've got to look on the bright side though; who else get's away with eating in, or even leaving, class? Even if your low and delusional, it's sort of, in a way, a special privilege. I mean, it's no fun when you start telling everyone in your class you can breath underwater when your 27, but it's better than some conditions, like schizophrenia.

I can definitely relate to you with people claiming they can relate. The last person someone said they can relate due to knowing a diabetic, I though I was going to murder her. I actually persuaded her to let me stab her with a needle, with nothing in it, and she immediately screamed. I told her to not only do that a dozen times a day, but do it so many times her fingers were actually scarred from stabbing herself with needles in her fingers.

Let's just say, she never claimed to know again.

9. zoe_cook

zoe_cook New Member

Hi!
    I completely understand how you feel... Please please please get that this is normal. Being a teen with Type 1 SUCKS!!! Hormones actually block your insulin working, so you're probably just going through a phase of insulin resistancy. Unless you have been a teen with diabetes you will seriously never understand. I've had insulin resistance like crazy and here's some thing that help me:
    - exercise! Inject into muscle (legs or arms work best) and then use that muscle. It forces your body to react, normally twice as fast so be careful :)
    - calm down! stress and emotions only make it worse (atleast for me). They can give you artificial highs, etc. that are just annoying.

I know the feeling of crying yourself to sleep and getting accused and blamed. It's horrible. But never cry alone! If you're ever upset or annoyed or happy or whatever, feel free to email/message me, or anyone here. You'll need to find people who understand to do this. You can't tackle this alone (trust me, I learnt the hard way).
    Keep your head up :D It's going to be a hard journey, I can't lie about that one. I was diagnosed at 9, so I had it through all of my teen years. BUT - it all settles when you're around 18. When the hormones chill, so do your bloods :)