- advertisement -

FDA approval for 670G hybrid closed loop system

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brenda, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Saw this. Wondering what everyone thinks. Seems like it only stops basal if you are going low? I can see that is helpful/comforting but it is not what I'd call an artificial pancreas. My dd is 14 (it's approved for 14 and up) but I don't think we'll be rushing to get it.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I was happy something got through the FDA. I am waiting for a solution that involves the Dexcom sensor.

4. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

It also includes a high increase, right? Or am I misreading the announcement?

We just renewed our warranty with Omnipod last week, and in the back of my mind was "What if another pump manufacturer comes out with an artificial pancreas and we're stuck for the next four years?" But I don't have any regrets. The Dexcom is the most important piece of our D arsenal and I wouldn't give it up for another system that incorporates a lesser CGM!

6. samson

samson Approved members

Not it continuously adjusts basal to keep your child in range. You do have to bolus for meals (so it's hybrid, not fully closed loop) but it is a legitimate closed-loop system. I think the confusion is that they recently put out a threshold suspend model just a few months ago.

7. Jasonk320

Jasonk320 Approved members

It looks like it use a new "Guardia" CGM that is more accurate as well. The studies done had 75% in range and zero severe hyploglecemia, sounds pretty good to me, just hope they will have some kind of upgrade program. We can maybe get a little better sleep once in awhile. Our 9 year old was part of one of the studies and it was pretty impressive even using the current enlite sensor.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I want to know if those in Europe all ready on the new device are having better results with the MM CGM. I have one kid switching to Omnipod and another sticking with MM who do not want to switch from Dex. I'm hesitant too as I'd be afraid our insurance (UHC) would not let us go back to Dex if we found that MM still isn't living up to its promises.

9. Deal

Deal Approved members

Keep Bigfoot in mind. They are in an FDA trial with their closed loop solution that uses the G5 sensor. https://www.bigfootbiomedical.com/

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes this is what I want to know too. this newest sensor still has a higher Mard than Dexcom.

11. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

This is a step in the right direction.

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

To be fair (and accurate), this Guardian 3 sensor has a MARD that's higher than the G5, but is lower than what the G4 began at.

It's TBD on whether that translates to more accuracy and reliability in real life, but the science shows it comes in at roughly 10.55% -- which is pretty darn good, if that's what it resembles in real life settings. Anecdotally, people on the Enlite 3 internationally do say it's pretty darn accurate for them.

I have more of that in my coverage on DiabetesMine, but wanted to make sure that was out there. I'm cautiously optimistic, and haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to try this, but it's an incredible milestone getting to this hybrid closed loop stage. Very exciting movement.

13. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

What exactly is MARD? I gather it must have something to do with the CGM's accuracy.

Also, I wonder about cost for the closed loop systems and if most insurance plans will/will not cover them? If the Dexcom and Animas Vibe are covered now, I wouldn't think it would be a hard leap to cover a closed system/AP, but I was reading Bigfoot Medical's system details tonight and it looks like there will be a monthly subscription fee. I really hope we can afford it. If not, maybe time for a second job! A full night's rest for child and parent will be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, we're due for a new pump next spring. If MM would let us trial this thing I'd probably give it a whirl, but I'm not overwhelmed with pump lust or anything.

15. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  16. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

Since Dex G5 and G4 uses the same sensor, can you be more specific ? Do you mean before the 505 algorithm ?

17. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members