- advertisement -

Favorite Sweetener

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Nov 17, 2015.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I am looking for opinions of fav sweeteners. Sophie is getting gourmet loose leaf tea as a gift and I want a sweetener that is more special then her usual splenda to go in the basket. Her brother is getting Belgian rock sugar, but she really can't have that.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Excuse what may be a stupid question: If she doesn't have too much of it, why can't she have Belgian rock sugar? Sugar (by itself) is actually one of the easiest and most predictable things for which to bolus...

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This may be no help also, but I am not familiar with Belgian rock sugar. Is it harder to measure? It being the "real thing" may actually feel like more of a splurge to her than any artificial sweetener out there, Assuming it's easily measured (my Ds would be irritated if gave him something special in a gift then made him weigh it before eating it).

Just a thought.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any artificial sweetener that comes in packets that feels special. They're just a powder in a packet. Maybe you can find some in more decorative packaging.

Or perhaps include something else with it that is not edible, like a special mug, or her favorite lip gloss or sweet smelling lotion; whatever you think she likes and would go well with it.

Good luck. I love putting gifts together for people. :)

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Agree with previous posters. But do want to say I've tried xylitol and stevia and I think they both have chemical aftertaste. I know Splenda is the sweetener of choice these days but I prefer aspartame. Have never seen any in cool packaging though.

5. wearingtaci

For her sugar is hard to bolus for and she likes her tea very sweet,somshe would be using more then just a teaspoon or so

6. wearingtaci

Belgian rock sugar is like our rock candy,so kind of like sugar pebbles,maybe a bit tricky to measure,but i know sugar will just send hernthrough the roof and turn her into a rage monster.
    Maybe just a special sugar bowl with bulk splenda? They are alreay getting new travel mugs and tea infusers.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Why not pre-bolus earlier than normal? Why not double the insulin you would normally give? If you haven't already, why not think out of the box, or experiment to see if you could make it work?
    I hear what you are saying about her reaction to sugar, but since sugar is in so many things we eat, how do you handle all the other sugary foods?

8. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd's current favorite is coconut sugar, although she switches between it & Splenda. I prefer Swerve, which is what I use for cooking as well.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use Maui raw sugar and it comes in single serve tubes. Easy to bolus for because you can count the packets :) We don't see a major spike from it either.

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We use all kinds of forms of natural sweeteners - honey, agave, raw sugar, maple syrup. We work out whatever works as far as bolusing for it.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Has she ever tried Stevia? I love McDonald's sweet tea but when I make my own version, I use Stevia drops instead. There are so many Stevia products - drops, powder, raw, tablets - that it might be an option. Plus, the drops have flavor options, which she might like. It does take a little trial and error to find the right balance, though, because it can go from sweet to bitter if you overdo it.

Or, if you want to change up the Splenda, have you seen the minis?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015