- advertisement -

Favorite restaurants for kids with D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

What restaurants do you find to be the most D friendly? What kids meal works well there?

The only restaurant we have been to since diagnosis has been McDonald's because they serve meals my kids like and they will give you a sheet with all the nutritional information.

But we would like to expand our horizons. The problem I foresee is going to Applebees where my daughter will want the macaroni and cheese - a double wammy of pasta and fat that would no doubt come in an unknown size with an unknown amount of carbs.

2. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We haven't braved many restaurants, but we love Subway and Chick-Fil-A.

CiCi's has been good for pizza. As good as pizza can go. But their slices are pretty small and thin crust. That helps.

Red Robin has kid meal carbs online. So does Applebee's.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

go anyway and anywhere. :) Many of the chains have nutrition info online, applebees does - that's always first place to check for a chain restaurant - most do. http://www.applebees.com/downloads/Applebees_Nutritional_Info.pdf
    And if not, take your calorie king book (or similiar android/iphon app) and have at it. Guess if needed.

Eating out is one of my son's favorite things to do and more than not we spend the night fighting highs (well, I spend the night, he sleeps) but while we'er eating we never speak a word about the chaos that it will cause me that night. My problem, Not his. He gets to do something he loves (and hey I love it too). It's that little bit of normal. We just pick a place and deal with whatever they have on the menu as best we can. And we're normally not at chains, we go to small local places where there never are carb counts. :)

It's a pain. do it anyway.

4. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I've found that most mac and cheeses are about 25 per half cup... And yes, the fat spike is inevitable, but like the PP said, we just do it!

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

If you know ahead of time, look them up online, almost all chain restaurants have the information easily available online.

As far as helpful in the actual location, I'll give a shout out to Chili's, they always have the nutritional information there when we ask, very detailed. Red Robin is one that irritates me, I can never get any information once I am in the door.

My biggest advice is to get a Calorie King book and even if the restaurant isn't listed, you can usually find comprable places and make a good guess.

We don't really limit where we go, it is certainly easier to go to a chain restaurant where information is online, but with a bit of trial and error, you can go anywhere and do your best and it really will work out.

6. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I find that the trouble is not in which restaurant we choose but in what my son chooses to eat! If I can convince him to have a meal with a large portion of protein (rather than pasta or pizza) then everything works out better - chicken fingers, fish sticks or fish filets, etc. Any meal anywhere that includes more protein and fewer carbs works like a dream. And this summer while in Maine I found out that lobster is a magic food. If he eats lobster and corn on the cob and not a big dessert, his blood sugars are great all night. Go figure....

7. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

Dennys&Applebees both have detailed nutritional info. We also have found that some fast food restaurants that have great nutritional info online like Burger King and Jack in the Box. I like the ones that add all the info up for you.

8. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

All restaurants, we like culvers for fast-food, and family style restrurants.

We even do all you can eat buffets, the trick is to know a few basics in carb counting and followup with bg rechecks.

and carry a nutritional guide like calorie king.

MY dd loves taco bell, and they do have a nutritional guide.:D

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I couldn't have said this better myself, Michelle!

Yes, we avoided restaurants like the plague when our son was first dx'd, but we soon realized that this was life and we had to deal with it.

So, to the OP, JUST DO IT!! :D

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

If it is any consolation, you do learn to judge, eyeball and guess restaurant food pretty well after a year or so,(depending on how often you eat out!). Check with your Endo or CDE often they have some good tricks for eyeballing stuff. If at a loss a temp basal till you figure out the direction your kid is headed can help. The calorie king is great you can estimate most stuff from that. Good luck but enjoy. Ali

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thai and Indian restaurants are the best!

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

What she said!!

When we first ventured out to restaurants after dd was dx'd, our carb guesstimating skills were not too good at all. If it didn't have a nutritional label on it, I had no clue. :rolleyes: So what we would do is estimate units of insulin. Food would come to the table we'd look at her plate and then my husband and I would try and decide "1 unit or 2 units?" Backwards and unconventional definitely but guess what? Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Now when we go out we are much better at eyeballing; I have a stock of printed menus with nutritional information in the d bag - we feel much better at this carb counting thing and you know what? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! :rolleyes::D

Just sayin'! Go out, eat, enjoy. Diabetes has to come for the ride but it doesn't have to be in the front seat.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey excellently put! :)

I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize this from time to time.. :cwds:

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

LOVE THAT!

now I have a picture in my head of diabetes sitting in the "way back".....

15. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We decide on the resturaunt before hand and I look up the carbs online on my phone. He decides what he wants based on the online menu.

Since he started the pod, he LOVES to eat out...when he was doing injections, he would sometimes order "free" foods because he was embarrassed about injecting at the table/ booth. One of his favorite free food meals was Steak tips and a salad or broccoli.

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I'm a "kid" with D :p and I prefer Chinese food. It can be rough on the BGs, but I only go out to a restaurant about once every 2 months or so, so I deal with it as best I can. IMO, you shouldn't let D restrict food choices. If you were eating in a restaurant without known carb counts every night, it might be tough. If it's a special occasion, it's a really important skill to be able to guess the bolus where you can, and then treat the highs/lows afterwards and move on. It gets easier with time.

17. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Ruby Tuesday has been great. They have a whole binder of info they'll bring out if you ask, with all the nutrition info for anything on their menu. They're also really good about swapping out items (Christopher hates french fries, but they usually will give him apple slices, mashed cauliflower, etc)

18. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Stealing this! LOVE it!

We don't eat out too often. We have made it through one trip to IHOP, with the help of the folks on this board (thank you!). We have done the Taco Bell drive through, and I can tell you that one bean burrito with red sauce and no onions is 55 carbs. And the mild sauce packets are 0 carbs. :)

19. suz

suz Approved members

I couldn't have put it better myself - exactly what we do :)

20. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

If you have a smart phone, there is an app called Track3 that has lots of restaurant menus, packaged food information and just general carb counts.

We like to eat out and use that app a lot or just look up the restaurant's website. If Lauren is high, she can always have steak.

One tip I got from this forum - if you are worried that the waiter brought regular soda or lemonade instead of diet, check it on your meter. We've done this before to make sure!