- advertisement -

Fat Spikes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Mar 6, 2014.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've never seen much of a difference with fat in meals until recently. I think I remember others mentioning the foods that hadn't been problematic changed? I'm curious to hear others' experience: when things changed (age, time since diagnosis, etc.) and how they needed to adapt for the changes with dosing.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've seen fat spikes since day 1. However, we have seen a change in how we need to deal with them. We used to have a really complicated extended bolus + a regular later bolus routine. Now, we can generally deal with it by doing a regular bolus up front, and another regular bolus a couple of hours later.

3. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

This always happens with us when my daughter has pizza. We just give some up front and more few hours later. Some times it wont spoke until the middle of the night its hard to predict.

4. tamermh

tamermh Approved members

What is fat spike?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fat slows the digestion of carbs - or maybe more accurately fat and protein make for a slower release of carbs into the blood stream.

You'll see this if you give your child 4oz of juice or 4 glucose tabs (16g of crabs) but fat and protein free and bgs will go up very quickly. If you give your child a high fat bit of pastry or a high fat candy bar with 16g the bg will go up more slowly and may still be being released into the blood stream after the insulin has peaked leaving you with a fat spike (bgs rising) a few hours after eating.

Folks often see this with pizza and other restaurant foods that are high in carbs and fats.

Hope that helps.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

While "fat" does not have carbs it can be turned into glucose when it is metabolized by the body, this happens hours after the meal when Blood sugar starts to 'spike" seemingly out of the blue.

7. tamermh

tamermh Approved members

So with fat food we have 2 issues. Low BG due to insuline and no carbs . Then later a high BG due to carbs and no insulin. Am I right ?

Based on your experience. When it is better to give insulin m right after the fat food or later by 15 mins or more?

8. tamermh

tamermh Approved members

Approximately, after how many hours?

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Thanks for adding a signature, it realy helps a lot.

Your child was dx'd less than a month ago?

I think a lot of this doesn't apply to someone just dx'd so I'd caution you against trying to add on fat spikes to your dosing just yet as your child's body is likely still making insulin, in "honeymoon" and that can both help and complicate matters.

At some point when that is no longer the case you may find that you'll want to give part of the dose with the meal and then later (how long depends on the kid and the meal) give the second shot. This is easier to do with a pump but can be done on MDI, but for now I'd read up, but not try to apply any of this just yet.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

For us it happens more pronounced now with large amounts of fat and protein, like fried shrimp Chinese dinner. She will have a BG climb starting 4 to 6 hours afterwards and continue to rise for 2-4 hours. When she was younger it was not so stubborn, but now that she is eating bigger meals I am seeing a larger effect that I have not figured out yet. (this is almost always an overnight issue)

11. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

We have been using bolus extended upto 60-90min whenever DD has high fat food. And many of our Indian dishes can be really high on carbs and fat! Has been working so far and we usually don't see a big spike.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014