- advertisement -

Fat spikes??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

So can fat cause spikes even with no carbs in the meal? Kayla was 94 and decided to eat a couple of hot dogs with no buns for dinner while the rest of us were out at baseball. I see that she did have ketchup and mustard so there would be some carbs there but not even enough to take 1 unit with her I:C of 1:20. So here it is 2 hours later and she is 213. Was it just the fat in the hot dogs?

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Many hot dogs do have carbs. We use them as a free food, because logan would eat one at the most, but it may add up with more than one, but I don't know for sure.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Some dogs have 4 carbs each, so two would be 8 carbs and add 4 or so for ketchup and you are at 12. Still sounds like his BS was high but who knows. Depends on how much one carb raises his BG. Ali

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Yeah, I looked and they were 4 carbs each. I never even thought to look at the carbs. Still it shouldn't have raised it that high. Altho, now I find out she forgot her lantus and was 3 hours late getting it. Not sure if that had something to do with it or not.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Sorry for using "his"instead of "hers" in my post. If a carb raises her 10 (just a guess) points then 12 would be 120. So depending on where you start you could be above 200 especially with a late shot of lantus. Ali

6. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

Liam spikes after hotdogs ( bun or not). We've started automatically running a temp basal everytime because of it. I suspect it's the fat rather than the few carbs.