- advertisement -

Fastclix vs Softclix?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama Salty, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Mama Salty

Mama Salty Approved members

Hi. When my 8yo was discharged from the hospital (a little over a year ago) they sent us home with the Accu Chek meter and their Softclix lancing device. Then the insurance decided they would only pay for the Freestyle meter (and strips) and whatever lancing device it is that Freestyle puts out. And that was horrible. I mean the meter is great, but their lancing device is awful. It seemed to constantly pop open and stab people unexpectedly. So we've been using the Softclix but have to pay oop for replacement lancets. And since we only replace the lancet once per day per hospital instructions, it's not terribly expensive.

I figure if I have to pay oop anyway, I might as well shop around. I've read that people really loved the Multiclix but that it was discontinued and replaced with the Fastclix, which people seem to be not so crazy about (compared to Multiclix). But I'm wondering if people consider the Fastclix to be in any way superior to Softclix? The part about never having an exposed lancet sounds good to me because even the Softclix has occasionally come apart unexpectedly. OTOH I've read reviews that it's difficult to use and to "aim" due to being unwieldy, and that it's pricier. Has anyone had any experience with both and have a preference?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We change our lancet maaaaybe once a month.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I think if you've never used the Multiclix, you'll like the FastClix. I do think it's probably superior to the SoftClix, with the multi lancet drum and the no-exposed lancet. I have three FastClixes that Accu-Chek gave me to replace my MultiClixes. I haven't tried them yet, though. I see coupons all the time for a free Multiclix with the purchase of a box of lancets, so worth a try in my opinion.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Unless I'm mistaken, Multiclix was or is going to be discontinued. We've always used Fastclix and love it! We always keep two devices on hand: the one my daughter currently uses and a back-up for when she inevitably loses it. We've never paid for one. Received the first one in the hospital and each additional one was obtained via calling or emailing the nice Accu-Chek folks and telling them how much we love their product and that my daughter lost her device. They have sent us several freebies over the past year. I have started holding my daughter responsible for contacting Accu-Chek when she needs a replacement; it has helped her lose her Fastclix less often.

Like jenm999, we don't change the lancet very often, probably only when the current one stops working. I've heard that some folks change lancets only twice yearly, when they change the time on their clocks. Not sure whether this is actually true, however.

If you go to the Accu-Chek website, they often offer discount cards/codes that reduce your out-of-pocket or copayment cost for lancet drums. If the offer isn't up on their website, just give them a call and they'll give you the necessary numbers to use while your card is in the mail.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've used the Multiclix since a few weeks after dx. My dd refuses to use any other device. We did try the FastClix, but she wasn't impressed. For someone who has never used MultiClix, I think it would be fine.

We first heard from AccuChek that they were discontinuing the MultiClix about 2 1/2 years ago. I went online & ordered lancets by the case. Our insurance copay is $35, & our Rx was for 2 boxes per month. I paid 6.95 per box by buying by the case, so much cheaper out of pocket. I turn the drum to a new lancet every morning. Dd's fingertips are still in great shape, even after 6 yrs.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have a stockpile of drums, but at least one of our Multiclix devices is wearing out. :( We asked for a FastClix prescription at our last endo visit. As much as my daughter dislikes the Fastclix, the drum beat out the Delica. If she could combine the two, it would be nice!

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I found the lancing devices online also. We have 11 now, besides the one she's using.

8. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We have the fastclix and been using them for almost a year now. I love them and love the drum. That means no individual lancets laying around and risk getting poked with. We had a One Touch before and the fastclix are less painful. As long as the insurance covers them, we will use them. If they weren't super expensive, I would pay out of pocket for them, too.

9. Mama Salty

Thanks for all the input! It sounds like it's definitely worth giving it a try. And couldn't hurt to have another lancing device in case of emergency since we just have the one softclix and the awful Freestyle thing.

I did find a coupon for free Fastclix with purchase of lancets, but maybe if I call the company I can get a deal on the lancets too.

And about changing lancets once a month or twice a year...good to know I can stretch out their use if necessary since I'll be going oop - not sure I'd go half a year though!

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

When I reset the clocks (Daylight Savings), I tell the kids to change their lancets. Last time, my son thought about it, said he'd pass because he was still good with his current one. *laugh* So no idea how old that one actually is! Not recommending it to anyone else, but it's a choice my kids make.

And, because it always makes me laugh...
    lancets.jpg

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Hahaha! That's hilarious!

12. Mama Salty

Ha! I seriously thought just changing it once a day was bad because I think the instructions say to every time you use it! I sometimes had problems with it not breaking the skin and thought it must be getting dull or something - but sounds like that's probably not the case!

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Never tried softclix. But we have both multiclix and fastclix here. Ashleigh and i both prefer fastclix over muticlix. Love that there is one less step involved.

14. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

We have like four boxes of the Accu-Che Multiclix Lancets....but no lancing device! I liked them because there are like 5 lancets before you have change the lancet. We are currently using the OneTouch FinePoint Lancets, and change the lancet out once per day. Wish we could find the lancing device so we could use the rest of the Multiclix!