- advertisement -

FANTASTIC idea for night checking....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I wear reading glasses, and am always buy cute ones to have all of the place....Yesterday, I bought a pair in a little botique in Chicago....cute, stylish,...after I paid, the lady said, "Oh, those are the light ones" I didn't realize, they have tiny LCD lights on either side of the frames.

First, you would never know it when you are wearing them....Second, I was so excited when I did the middle of the night testing on both kids, espeically Spencer, becuase he refuses to have a night light on his his room!

I feel like a commercial, but wow, did it make the dark testing so much better.....Just thought I'd pass that on.:)

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I should get something like this to attach to my glasses:) Its always so hard to hold the flashlight, poke his finger and get the test strip in the meter ( I need 2 extra hands;) ) Thank you for the great idea Paula:cwds:

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Sounds like a plan! I have dimmer switches everywhere, so I turn the light up enough to see what I am doing. I do need reading glasses anyway though, so maybe I could try it.

4. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

These were $18 and the brand on the inside arm is A.J. Morgan....I'll bet you can google search and find a retail location near you....

5. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I looked them up and they have a website. They are based out of Los angeles. You can order from them online and they are $29.99. There are two Styles and each comes in several colors. Now I sound like a commercial but they really are a great idea. Thanks Paula!
    Http://ajmorganeyewear.com

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It's probably a good idea to warn your kids ahead of time if you are going to wear these things, so they don't wake up and think they are being abducted by aliens.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL! So true!! I actually saw something similar in CVS in their reading glasses section. I never even thought about night time checking - might just have to pick up a pair! :)

10. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

my kids don't even budge in the middle of night!!

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

That's funny!

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Actually, I think Jack would be rather excited at the prospect. :rolleyes:

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

In November, we placed a blue light bulb on our porch to symbolize Diabetes Awareness. Afterwards, my daughter put it in a lamp in her room. It works great for soft light for nighttime checks.

14. taximom

taximom Approved members

We use camping head lamps (we already had them from years of boy scouts). They work great!

But those glasses sound like a great idea too!

15. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

This gave me a good chuckle:) glasses are a good idea. When ds was in a crib I would hang over the crib holding flashlight in my mouth,poker in one hand and meter in the other. Nights around here are interesting :D

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Darn--I was hoping this thread was about a better way to wake UP for night checking!! I am having SUCH a hard time lately. I turn the alarm off and don't even remember doing it in the morning.:eek: Thank God, nothing too bad has happened as a result. I always seem to wake up if I'm worried about lows--but highs I sleep through!:confused:

Sorry to go off topic. I think we could turn a search light on Daniel at night and he wouldn't wake up. I learned a long time ago to stop using book lights and flash lights and just turn his room light on! Of course, it got much harder when he wanted and got a "clapper" for Christmas.:p 3 am, and I'm trying to "clap on" and "clap off" quietly enough to not wake my other kids. Luckily, he got tired of it too, and we're back to the wonderfully easy and quiet light switch.:)

17. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

You crack me up with this comment, we have a night light in our room and that's what I use, also a little flash light, and if she is sleeping with us, I use the light on my cell phone.

18. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

But wait!! There's more! LOL!!

19. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

awesome!

One less thing to worry about!

20. kidsmakes7

kidsmakes7 Approved members

Wow! You're all so nice! We just put an open book over his face and turn on the lights. J/K

With 5 kids we run through batteries like water, so to keep costs down, we just picked up a cheap lamp, bought a 40 watt red light bulb from our local party depot and use that for night checks. It provides enough light to test by but isn't harsh enough to disturb his sleep.