- advertisement -

Famous people with type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Aug 25, 2009.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Bo Diddley - Blues guitarist

Crystal Bowersox - American Idol Contestant

Nat Strand - Doctor, Amazing Race Winner

2. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

3. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Luke Branquinon - Professional Rodeo Steer Wrestler

4. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Nicole Johnson. Miss America 1996 I believe.

Toby Petersen Dallas Stars NHL

5. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

6. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

What about the actor (main character) from the War Horse movie? (Sorry, I can't remember his name, so he could already be on the list, somewhere!)

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im so glad you found this thread and are adding to it:) It has helped me so much to know about all these famous people with type 1 living life to the fullest and accomplishing any goals they have for themselves

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sharon Stone denies being a diabetic

9. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I think Jackie Robinson was probably type 2. He was diagnosed shortly after his retirement from baseball.

10. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Mary Mouser - Actress on Burden of Proof on ABC. She also just got the network to add Type 1 diabetes to her character

11. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

Yes, Vanessa Williams has type 1. My DD did a black history month project on her last year. She was diagnosed as a young adult (after Miss America).

Also, Kendall Simmons, former NFL guard for the the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots has type 1. I heard him speak in January and he was feeling terrible on the drive to report to training camp his rookie season. He old the trainer he did not feel good when he got there. The trainer gave him a physical and sent him directly to the hospital for a type 1 diagnosis.

12. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Brandon Morrow is a starting pitcher with the Toronto Blue Jays. Also, Sam Fuld, an outfielder with the Tampa Rays.

I think that Catfish Hunter was type 2 though.

Also, don't forget former Yale and NBA player Chris Dudley, who ran for governor of Oregon in 2010.

13. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I am glad you didn't mind me reviving it:). Yes, I find reading this helps me tremendously too. It gives me hope that dd will/can live a happy, full filling life.

14. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

15. Deal

Deal Approved members

Let me add a couple Canadians. I notice Bobby Clarke already mentioned. He is the GM for the Philadelphia Flyers and the only diabetic person I was aware of as a kid. There are a few other T1's playing in the NHL and a new one is about to be signed. Tie Domi's son Max Domi will be a round one signing this year. He also has celiac disease but nothing will get in his way of the NHL dream. Check this video out: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2011/12/17/domi_diabetes/ and another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhCHoQW2yqw

Also a past Prime Minister of Canada, Brian Mulroney, has adult onset type 1.

16. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

Ron Santo - Hall Of Fame 3rd baseman for the Chicago Cubs
    Carling Coffing - LPGA Futures Tour

17. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Michel musso (not sure how you spell his name) Disney actor ( Hana Montana and hatching Pete)

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm not sure this one is correct; I think his character did, not the actor in real life. I could be wrong though, but I'm fairly certain. DD went through a Hannah Montana phase....

19. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm pretty sure he does, I know he wrote a song about diabetes (really stupid song) I remember seeing the episode and looking it up after...

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just did a quick google search and all my hits said it was only his character, and not the actor????