- advertisement -

Family: Service dog for diabetic child fails at job

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I feel sorry for the dog.

People who do this really need to know what they are getting into - obviously, this family didn't understand what they were doing. Granted they were obviously mislead but come on. :rolleyes:..poor dog...

And a choke collar? Seriously?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Its not the dog's fault. Warren Retrievers needs to be shut down. This isn't the first bad story we've heard about them.. take a look at the comments, looks like other people have delt with them too and weren't to happy. A dog isn't a fix all for anything, maybe the family should take the choke collar off as a start. That poor puppy.

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Maybe I'll contact the TV station up here that ran a story on them not too long ago...

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Poor dog. :(

6. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I personally would not rely on a dog for sniffing out blood sugar. Getting me across the street safely, ok, but not detecting changes in blood.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think the most hideous part of that article is that the family actually thought that by owning a dog they were going to reduce the number of times they tested BGs. I mean, really?

They wanted another, not broken, one .....

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ummm I think they need a cgm not a dog if they wanted to test less and even then neither are 100% fool proof. It's as if they thought the dog was the magic pill.
    As for the poor dog...it's not broken. It was poorly trained by a bunch of incompetents who are out for the almighty $$$.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

My heart breaks for that dog. What did these people expect? First of all, it's a puppy and secondly, it requires constant care. They don't look like they are in a position to adequately care for the dog from what I saw on the video. It's obvious that Warren Retrievers doesn't care where these dogs end up, as long as they are getting their $. And threatening to have her arrested for non payment? Really? He's an idiot and that company needs to be shut down for once and for all!

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

Agreed. I also don't understand how it is possible for a puppy to be fully trained. I imagine it wasn't even completely potty trained when they first received it. Common sense goes a long way, folks.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

did anyone see the first video when that Warren guy came and dropped off the dog and the news reported on this feel good story??

http://www.khou.com/home/New-Puppy-is-a-Boys-Life-Saver-141101403.html

the Warren guy said this in the video

"When the sugar level gets high, it is like a fruity, Juicy Fruit, cotton-candy smell," said trainer James Faulkner of Guardian Angel Service Dogs. "When it goes low, it is more of an acetone, fingernail polish type smell."

to me is explanation dose not even make sense ? why would you take on an acetone smell when low ? ans how was he able to confirm this ?

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

And then they make claims about the dog being aggressive based on what the child says without clarification from an adult. Puppies do play bite from time to time especially children if the child is being rambunctious. What luck will the dog have finding a new home if they go around claiming she is aggressive toward children.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said. It also looks like it is a labrador retriever. We had one when we were first married and she chewed everything in sight and needed a lot of room to run. You can't just place a lab puppy with a family and expect it to be calm and well trained. That comes with age.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

In addition to the price of the dog, this should have had this family running for the hills.... "Prixsee requires a special brand of $40 dog food and specially ordered treats. She also needs to be fed fresh fruits and vegetables regularly." :rolleyes:

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

the dog doesn?t even look like most labs - her muzzle seems really slight and she has a slight frame it looks more like she has a more small framed breed in its background like a collie - just saying that I wouldn?t be surprised if the guy is completely full of crap on a number of counts.

I guess they guy breeds retrievers as pets. I doubt his dogs have papers. My understanding is that you cannot even breed dogs in such a way that the dogs are adequately cared for and turn a profit

I am really concerned about the conditions the dog?s he breeds are living in considering how slimy he sounds and how money hungry he is
    The DAD industry really needs to be put under much greater scrutiny

It is also ridiculous for the family to think having the dog would reduce BG checks ? how can you make dosing decisions on the advice of a dog? It would be easy to brush off all the claims about DADs as quackery. I am surprised these kids' endo teams are not taking a stance in telling the families that this is all quackery

16. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

I agree that it seems they had a wrong expectation for the dog. I follow a blog of a family with a very successful D.A.D., and one thing that stuck out to me is that they check bg MORE with a D.A.D., not less. In any case, you would have to follow up the low/high alert with a blood check in order to know how to treat the out-of-range bg. It's not the right timing for us to have a D.A.D., and we are still trying to get Kaiser to cover a CGM for DD, so we don't have any experience with either, but it seems like since neither one is 100 % accurate, I would still be doing finger stick checks if I thought something was amiss or just felt like DD needed a check. I can't really think of anything that would reduce bg checks for us...these tools would just be extra tools to catch things that I would miss with a standard finger stick schedule...not to take the place of it. So, I don't really understand these families that feel that a DAD or CGM will reduce finger stick checks. Am I missing something?

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, it's because they think the dog will be so accurate that they will only have to check BG when the dog alerts, and will therefore not have to test when BG is in range. :rolleyes:

18. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Even when the dog does alert, you still have to check to see if it's right, and treat yourself and reward your dog accordingly. Lots of DADs will continue harrassing you until you check bg! Some will get your kit for you. Reputalbe places will always tell you that you check more with a DAD.

19. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah I know - I was explaining why these people's expectations were way out of line with reality.

20. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that this family was taken. One thing I would never get a puppy expecting it to be trained into a service dog. The dog must already be trained and also the person who is to use the service dog must receive intensive training as well. And with the sores on the dog's mouth clearly it was in pain and ill and needs medical treatment. Not every dog can be a service dog and also not every dog makes a good diabetes alert dog.
    Today I was in a drugstore picking up some meds and there was a lady with a dog who had a cover on it that said service dog but I knew by the dog's behavior that it was not a service dog. I didn't say anything though as I don't work for the store but later on I saw the lady being talked to by a store employee. The dog was getting into everything. A service dog would not do that.