- advertisement -

Families with Multiple Type 1's

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by T1Spouse&Proud, Mar 25, 2008.

1. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

I am seeing more and more multiple T1 families everyday. I know research says it's not totally genetic but... my observations seem to say other wise. I am think there are genetic predispositions that are genetically linked and passed. So I am interested for my knowledge and possible school research paper, if people who have T1 and have family members with T1 could post their family linkage to T1 IE:

My wife is a T1(Age 4dx)
    and so is her Uncle(Age 25dx)
    and Sister(Age 12dx).

Thanks

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

After my diagnosis my mom finally came clean and told me that her Father and her brother both died from complications due to type 1.

Then my father came clean and told me he has type 1 and got it when he was 42. His half-brother also had it, but lived to the age of 80.

Now, my sister has LADA she was diagnosed a couple months before I was and my son has had it for 5 years.

3. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dh, his brother and father are all type 1. Now my dd is.

On the Today show this morning Matt Lauer was having a discussion w/a guest about the rise in autoimmune diseases in general these days.

My personal opinion is that there is something in the genetics but our declining environment and the toxins in it are pulling the trigger.

4. kirish

kirish Approved members

I don't know...

My son type 1 dxd 3/06

My daughter type 1 dxd 3/08

No other family history of any other type 1 for as far back as we can tell.
    Many others with autoimmune diseases though. Lupus and thyroid.

5. T1Spouse&Proud

I am seeing a lot of T1 parent/children combos in these forums. After always being told it's not genetic and seeing the pretty prevalent connection within families, I am actually a little nervous for our soon to be born son.
    I am totally going of on a tangent but I am wondering/worried if it's some sort of antibody passed through straight genetics or through postpartum acquisition like breast feeding.
    Makes you stay up at night thinking about it.

6. azkat

azkat Approved members

My daughter was dx'd 11-09-07 and I was dx'd 12-11-07 almost exactly a month later. As far as we know there are no other cases in our family!

7. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

I have it, my grandfather on my mothers side does and I think I have a 2nd or 3rd uncle somewhere that does.

I agree with you, even though its "not genetic", it kind of seems otherwise at times.

My brother in law, he's 12, has been being tested since he was 2 for possible development of diabetes - I don't know how they do it or what they are testing for exactly - but there was something in his bloodwork at 2 years old that says he has a predisposition to it. He also has a major immune system deficiency, maybe that has something to do with it. Whatever the case, his surrounding family has a history of type 2 diabetes, so the doctors test him once a year. Kinda strange.

8. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

My husband was dx with T1 at age 19.
    Our son was dx 3 months ago at age 6 1/2.

9. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

It is somewhat genetic. There is something in the genetic makeup that shows you have the possibility of getting diabetes. Then something in the environment, many say and type of illness, triggers the antibodies to attack the beta cells in the pancreas. So the predespostion of Diabetes is genetic.
    PS:at least this is what i have reasearched and what i think!:D

10. sneetch

sneetch Approved members

There are four people dx with type 1 in my family.

Me, dx at 20
    My sister, dx at 34
    My mother, dx at 27
    My uncle(on my mothers side), dx at 20

11. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

My husband and son are both type 1. I was told after my son was diagnosed that there is a 20% chance of a child getting diabetes if the father has it.

12. kkuncl

kkuncl Approved members

Both my kids have Type 1

My son was diagnosed when he was 4 and my daughter when she was 6. We do not have any other history of Type 1 in our family, but we do have other history of autoimmune diseases, like Thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis.

13. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Funny how you mention Lupus, my mother in law has Lupus and the doctors asked does Diabetes run in our families, we said no and really his mom has lupus not type 1. The doctor said well you can't rule that out. There is no family history on either sides of type 1 with our families.
    I was adopted and had no medical information till now. I have found my birth father and mother to get medical information and nothing runs on their sides as well.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is my understanding also. You are typically more likely to have the predisposition genetic make up if you have a family history but anyone can be born with that genetic mix. Also it seems to be established that you need either more than the genetic predisposition for it to develop or "emerge" such as an external trigger or some other genetic combination that we are not able to test for yet. I have type one and at least one of my sisters has the genetic predisposition but never developed diabetes-she is four years older than me and now in her fifties. I was diagnosed as a teen she just recently discovered she had the genetic markers for type on during an autoimmune clinical trial. This genetic/external trigger combination is thought to be true for many cancers and other diseases.Ali

15. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

My Dad dx'd age 32 in 1987
    Me dx'd age 28 in 2006
    My daughter Maddison dx'd age 6 (nine months after me!)

My husbands Aunt dx'd at age 13
    My husbands Great Grandfather
    My husbands Great Uncle

YIKES!!!!

16. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

DH and DD both have it, so does my aunt on my mom's side. She was diagnosed as a young adult.

17. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My mom was dx'd at age 17

My son was dx'd at 9 months old

I was dx'd at age 30

All with type 1

Maternal grandfather has type 2

18. T1Spouse&Proud

19. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

we are being screened through Trial Net May 3.

20. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Derek-- I don't think it has to do with breastfeeding-- I could not breast feed our oldest, and she developed D at age 5. Also, I was breast-fed till I was nearly 4 years old... :)

Here's our family run-down:

My dad's dad at age 16 T1
    My dad's mom in mid-30's T2
    My dad's sister in mid-20's misdiagnosed as T2 (since it developed during pregnancy and at adult age), but either T1 or LADA
    Myself at age 11 T1
    My second cousin (dad's side) also about age 11 T1
    My oldest dd at age 5 T1
    My mom's mom at age ~87 T2

clearly there is something genetic about it in our family.