- advertisement -

Families who travel long distance to see their endo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kevin@diabetech.net, Mar 6, 2008.

1. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

I posted in December about a family who had their quarterly endo visit from home via web-cam. The family loved it of course since they didn't have to travel the 2.5 hrs each way and they actually got 30 minutes of the endos time this way as well.

Several additional families living in Texas are doing this now, too with similar results. In fact that first family I mentioned has their follow-up appt later today.

If you think you might be interested in getting your endo to consider doing this with you let me know and I'll get you more background info that you can share with your endo. Your endo would most likely also want to discuss this with Steve Ponder (MD, CDE and type 1 himself) so that they could understand the protocols that are followed and what makes it work vs things that make it hard.

2. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

ME ME ... Please give me any info you have. We are going to our next endo appt ( 5 hrs away) on the 19th and I really want to mention it to her

3. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We travel 530 miles to see our endo!! We are currently cutting back to 6 months apts because she's under good control, and the trip is huge, but it would be great if we could discuss things "face to face" at some point between visits.

I'd be interested in getting some info, and I think our endo would be very open to idea. He's pretty forward thinking and tech savvy, so he might love the idea.

4. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Add me to this!!

Even though we do go to Hanford twice a month(200 miles one way), there will be months were we do not go back at all, especially in the summer.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think this could be a great option for kids in college. I'd like more information. I'm looking at a gap for my son of 6 months between his visits. He'd rather drive down to Daytona Beach for spring break than visit his endo. Go figure?

6. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

How do they bill insurance for this type of visit? Our Endo is very tech savvy and would probably be interested, once the Omnipod joined this century and implemented uploadable software. Our family would find it benefical to cut back in office visits to every 6 months if all the ducks were in a row.

7. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

Here is a letter from Dr Ponder to other Endos and CDEs that he sent out last month. It's hard to say if your endo received this or not (or if they read it) so you should maybe print it out and hand it to your endo at your next visit.

http://diabetech.net/pdf/Diabetech.GlucoMON.ADMS.Letter.To.Peers.Ponder.MD.CDE.02.2008.pdf

Keep in mind that this took several years to perfect and like all good recipes there are special ingredients and 'secret sauce' built in. The key is simplicity and reliability for all parties to the visit not just the family or just the endo/staff.

I think this has been successful because it is easy for the patient family and also easy for the endo/staff. If you have further questions I would be more than happy to speak with you on the phone or just drop me an email.

With your help we might also be able to develop a great FAQ.

Cheers