- advertisement -

Falsehoods and bad assumptions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Frederik Debakkere, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Frederik Debakkere

Frederik Debakkere New Member

Hello,
    Im a divorced dad of a son diagnosed type 1 diabetes, living in Belgium, Europe.
    He was 22 months old when this came out. Now he is 5 years old.
    It started with a lot of drinking, going to the toilet, wet diapers all the time...
    It was like hell (i dont have to tell you i supose). It was like my whole world fell apart.
    After more then 3 years, i still have to deal with questions, assumptions,...
    People ask me questions like: did he ate to much sugar as a baby? Bad food as a baby? Can he eat everything he wants? Can he die? Why is your son drinking cola?
    How does everybody deals with these kind of questions? Everytime someone asks me a question like that, i can feel my heart breaking into 1000 pieces. Then i also feel guilty, i ask myself: what did I do wrong? I know its not my fault, it happens and there is nothing to do about it. But still..always the same feeling. When i look in my son his eyes, i can feel his pain and see all of the questions he has in his head. He knows im always there for him, and that he can tell everything to me.
    How do you guys deal with this? Do you often feel guilty as well? And sad?