- advertisement -

Eyeballing vs. Exact Counts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Eyeballing worked for us until we started pumping when we found more precise measurement to be more important.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We do a lot of eyeballing, but I have it easier than some. When we go out to eat, 99% of the time, Jack will order chicken strips and fries or a hot dog and fries. It's one of the few ways in which having a little one with D is easier than an older child!

3. julymoon99

julymoon99 Approved members

We use the Salter scale and the Calorie King book. We got the scale before DD started pumping and it has been great! Really helpful especially at restaurants.

4. mnhmslmom

mnhmslmom Approved members

We eyeball mostly while away from home and use Calorie King book or hubby has a blackberry we use quite often because we've forgotten the book.

At home I'm meticulous about weighing everything....it's the scientist in me!!

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

For the first 1.5 years, we very methodically and painstakingly weighed every single thing, even pre-packaged foods (which are often not quite correct). After while, we could pop something on the scale and guess the correct amount before the number came up.

We still weigh and carb factor at home, but we don't bring the scale out. I think weighing for so long has trained us to be very good eyeballers, and we're pretty good in restaurants. The thing that we had to learn to deal with was fat in restaurant food, but we've finally learned how to do that as well with extra insulin and a combo bolus.

ETA: We did input all the restaurant carb amounts into her pump, plus instructions on what percentage and how long to combo so that she can access that when she's away from us. That helps tremendously!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We measure at home, but eyeball in restraunts unless we can get exact info...:cwds:

7. rare

rare Approved members

I always eyeball food when not near a measuring cup/spoon. At home I don't weigh. I use the Calorie King book and if it's not in there then I use the package label. I used to use Fitday.com but that's no longer free. :mad: I use measuring cups because I'm comfortable with those. So everything is in wholes, halves, quarters, or thirds. I'd mess something up if I did ounces. Math and I don't get along.

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I eyeball whenever I am out. Theres no way I'd get out the scale or measuring cups in public. My friends (who don't really understand) would think I'm crazy! Of course its different when you have a young child who doesn't care though. :cwds:

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My daughter is a picky eater. We have most of her foods memorized.

Most of the time we eyeball. I do prefer to use a measuring cup for mashed potatoes, pasta or rice because she eats a large serving and then comes back for seconds.

10. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

We W.A.G. it all the time - "wild $ss guess"! :p

That's a little something I picked up from Miss Behave - and I like it! ;)

11. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

We eyeball it when out.

12. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Sara doesn't like change, she mainly eats the same things and we have them memorized. I rarely weigh anything now. we guestimate when out.

but recently I discovered diet1
    if you text in your cell phone what your eating
    say starbucks frappicino
    it will text back the nutrition info.
    have to spell it right and be able to text well.
    by the time I finish texting somethihng dinners probably over.

http://www.diet.com/mobile/

13. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

What he says....BTW I did try the scale method but with 2 diabetics I was driving myself crazy and not much difference found for me.

14. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

This is one of the things I LOVE most about the Cozmo! It's just one less thing I have to remember. :eek:

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We eyeball when out but mostly we eat at the same handful of restaurants anyway so I jot down in my PDA the carbs that I'm using for different foods and we go from there the next time. But I find no matter what (even if I do happen to bring the travel scale) the restaurant food throws his bg's way off anyway - just like everyone else says, because of the fat.

BTW, anyone in New England ever go to Wild Willies? They started up in York (maine) and now have a few here and there. Positively the most evil burger EVER - it sends Ian high for hours and hours and hours. unfortunately they also have the worlds best burgers. LOL.

16. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

In Illinois, we have a restaurant chain called "Hackney's" and they deep-fry their burgers. I don't even want to know how much that would send a diabetic skyrocketing. They also have a famous "onion ring loaf." It's a load of onion rings all deep fried together in a bread loaf shaped fryer. The thing about restaurants is that I'm more leary of the fat than the carbs. Usually the carbs are all refined white high GI carbs, but add fat to the mix, and boom, it's damage control after that.

I wish Elizabeth would eat sushi!!:rolleyes:

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

OMG I'm so drooling. lol. these are just plain old burgers but they're greasy and they're yummy. OH the have awesome cheese fries too, which fortunately, Ian hates.

18. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Red meat and fries aren't my thing. I'm a sushi person and I don't touch red meat (I don't like the taste of it, I'm weird). Unfortunately, my WHOLE family, including my brother, parents, are all red meat and potatoes types of people.

I much rather have unagi & ikura. Most of you who never had sushi probably don't have a clue what that is.:p

I wish Elizabeth would eat fish, usually it's low in fat, and no carbs. She is the pickiest child.

19. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Pre - Pump I only eye balled. Even at home. I look back and think I may have had better control if I were to measure, but his A1C's were fine so I didn't. We also considered more foods "free" because they were under 15g of carbs. (ie: Peanut Butter)

Post - Pump I measure everything at home. But I still eyeball out and about. But we do carry around the Calorie King bible so we can get a better idea what the type of food is. My husband is really good at guestimating. I tell him, a 4 oz potato is ... what do you think about that potato. And he'll say, it looks like 6 oz. and if I measure it, he's right on. It's quite scary actually. :D But it's still weird to me to count Peanut Butter. :rolleyes:

Charmed