- advertisement -

eye exams

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lynnieg123, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

My DD has had glasses for 1 year and been diagnosed with T1D for 1.5 yrs. The last time she went for her eye exam her sugar was in the 200s and they said they couldn't do teh exam and sent her home. Her rescheduled appointment is today and although she is in range now, she was high all yesterday. We're going to call the eye doc before we go to see if they want to reschedule but wondering what other people's experiences have been. Can 1 day of high BG ruin an eye exam? Can being back in range for 12 hours fix the issue? Can BG affect vision in just one day?

Thanks,

Lynne

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've never heard anything like that from our ophthalmologist, and he has Type 1;)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have never heard anything like that. All our doc asks is how her A1c's have been.

I'd call and ask what bearing a day of high BG's would have and why she can't have her appointment.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is this an optician or an ophthalmologist?

5. Beach bum

That's what I was wondering.
    Maybe, they are confusing T1 and T2?

6. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

She is an optomotrist. DD has been overall high for the past week and 1/2, my husband told the office "she has been high for the past 2 weeks" they may think she has not been in range or even low during this time and think the sugar has built up in her eyes? My DH and I are disagreeing about this. We read in one of our diabetes books last night that short term high BG can blur your vision but I believe it was talking at time of diagnoses not from day to day once on treatment.

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Keep in mind that an optician is primarily focused (no pun intended) to diagnose and treat vision problems, provide glasses, etc. An optometrist can diagnose and treat some eye diseases but not all and also diagnose and treat vision problems. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who is qualified to diagnose and treat all diseases affecting the eye - including possible complications of diabetes. While an optometrist might well be able to spot signs of problems from diabetes I'm not sure he could do anything about it, so I would recommend that anyone with diabetes go to an opthalmogist.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Never heard of this. As others have mentioned, we go the ophthalmologist route, though. Since we see one for her, we all just go to the same office. She and DS see the pediatric ophthalmologist and we see a regular one but we get everything from her exam to our glasses taken care of.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Yes, an ophthalmologist is the type of doctor to see. If you are checking to see if your child needs glasses only, an optometrist is the type to see.

After a few years, I wouldn't bother with an optometrist. My son went early to get a baseline reading and then waiting until he was 8 before seeing the ophthalmologist once a year.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Higher BG's do impact vision but the effect is relatively slight... nothing IMO that couldn't be fixed with a glasses check if the RX was thought to be incorrect (and I've had this happen when the doctor simply wrote down the RX wrong.. it's a pain to get it all fixed, but it doesn't cost anything if you feel the RX is wrong and need to have it re-checked, and if the prescription changes, most eyeglass places will remake the lenses at no charge if it's within a certain amount of time). Prolonged periods of high BG's would impact it more (such as with an undiagnosed/uncontrolled T2 - often a significant change in vision is an indicator to be checked for T2).

My glasses/contact RX has been pretty much the same for about 6 years now and trust me when I say my BG has been all over the map for my appointments - like anyone else I try my best, but "life happens" :)

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree. If you have to go once a year anyway, it might as well be to the opthalmologist rather than optician.

12. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Our daughter's BG was a little high when she saw the ophthalmologist because she'd just finished breakfast. He specializes in diabetes, and didn't say a word about her BG (was maybe 180-200?) being too high for the exam. Her eyes were great! And she doesn't need to go back for two years (yay!). It is comforting to have a baseline exam for future reference. The dilation part wasn't nearly as terrible for her as I expected. She actually thought it was "cool."

13. Beach bum

Agreed. You also may get better coverage of costs too. In our case, we have a vision plan and then because of the diabetes, our primary medical insurance picks up anything else. We've never paid more than the copay for the visit and whatever our insurance allows for specs.

14. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

We were indeed told by an ophthalmologist that it was best not to check one's eyes when one had a high blood sugar. I suspect it's up to each doctor to decide what they consider high. I would suspect that several hours over 300 mg/dl or a couple of days over 200 mg/dl could possibly affect the examination. So, if your daughter is 180-200 mg/dl, she should be fine.

I agree with the others that an ophthalmologist is a better choice because he/she is able to judge better the health of your daughter's eyes while an optitician has been trained to judge one's vision. Hope this makes sense.

If you can ever make it to CWD's annual Friends for Life Conference, you can have your daughter's eyes check there. For the past 7 years or so, Dr. Ben Szirth, director of the Applied Vision Research Laboratory at the Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Science at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, brings a team of people to do retinal screening. This service is free to participants.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip was seeing an opthalmologist monthly for an eye condition for a while. They always did a vision check as well as other tests. Never once said anything about being high effecting. Just tried to blame high bg for the eye condition, which endo said was rubbish, the eye condition was causing the high bg.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Both my opthamologist AND my Retinal surgeon make sure my sugars have been in range at least a month before they will do a change in my Rx, high bg does skew your vision. They still do the exam for for everything else needed.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

In range for a MONTH? What range is that? I've never been in range for 3 days at a time, let alone a month!

18. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip would be the same. Being a teen we're lucky to get a full day in range.

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

between 4-10 mmol, with no major swings

20. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I would go to an opthalmologist. You would be amazed at how much a really good one can find during a thorough exam. Of course, they can tell you that you might need to be concerned about high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, etc. based on what they see, but I think that is just the beginning. I know that my opthalmologist told a friend of mine during her eye exam that she might want to take a pregnancy test (she was 3 weeks pregnant at the time and didn't know it) and he asked me when I had the seizure (I had a seizure 5 months prior to my appointment). In my opinion, it is certainly worth a visit...it may just be a very good resource for you. ;)