- advertisement -

Eye exam

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoveMyHounds, Jun 14, 2013.

1. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I'm planning to take my DD to the eye doctor - she needs the new glasses. So, I'm thinking, maybe her eyes should be checked for all the D complications? What should I ask for? (I know nothing about the eyes ;)).

Before we only went to the Vision Center at Walmart :rolleyes:.

Thanks!

2. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

Not sure on everyone else's experience, but with us, we just explained that our daughter had Type 1, and he knew what to look for. It was actually very helpful, he was able to educate us a little more on some of the possible complications that diabetics can have with their eyes.

3. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I think just tell them she is a type 1 diabetic so you want to check for any complications that may arise from that.

I took DD for her first eye exam last summer and it turned out the optometrist's daughter was also type 1 so that worked out really well :)

4. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

You don't have to tell them what to check for, just tell them she has Type 1 and they should know what to check for already. My daughter goes yearly.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS has a yearly scan of his retinas taken with a special machine that takes a picture of them.