- advertisement -

Extreme tiredness and ketones?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sage68, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sage68

sage68 Approved members

My ODD has been extremely tired the last few days and has been sleeping in the middle of the day, which is extremely rare for her. She has also been getting ketones the last few days (1.1 or a little more) and not rally wanting to eat. Not wanting to eat isn't completely unusual for her as she is a HORRIBLY picky eater, but this is just so odd. She is still drinking but is also complaining of being cold. I know the tiredness and cold sensitivity can be hypothyroidism but we are completely baffled by the ketones. Over Labor Day weekend she was hospitalized overnight due to vomiting, dehydration and ketones. I don't think that is related to this but since the hospitalization, the fatigue and coldness has set in. I'm concerned and am in contact with my diabetes team but also wanting to know if any other CWD parents have experienced this with their kids.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Take her to have a CBC done at your pediatrician.
    Take her for a check up ASAP.

3. sage68

sage68 Approved members

She had CBC done at the hospital and nothing showed up at that time. She is due to a have her 3-month D visit next Thursday but I am waiting from a callback from the D nurse right now.

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

At least the CBC came out good...
    I'm thinking hypothyroidism?
    My daughter was falling asleep alot right before she was dx with it.
    She's always cold, so I don't know how to answer that.

Could her ketones be from her not eating? Starvation ketones?

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Sounds likes she's still sick.. the ketones are most likely caused from her lack of appetite.. Try giving her drinks with sugar, so you can bolus. how have her blood sugars been?

6. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I'm guessing starvation ketones as well. Her BS hasn't really left the 100's in 2 days, which normally i would be giddy over, unless she isn't eating, like right now. She is horribly picky also, refuses all sugared pop and juices. The only way I have been getting any sugar in her to keep her BS above 100 is to threaten glucose gel, which she hates. I finally got a callback and the nurse is also thinking she might still be fighting something off. She had a complete screening back in June and her results for thyroid came out completely normal so we are thinking it isn't it but rather some sort of bug. I just wish she wasn't so difficult when it came to eating or drinking when she has to. She has always been this way also, just like her dad. Anne is much more agreeable. Just frustrating and i am so tired. I am just thanking my lucky stars right now for the CGM. It is really helping me keep her in a safe range while she is fighting this off.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

sounds like starvation ketones to me as well. Campbell got them last time he was sick. It wasn't a tummy bug, he just felt lousy and wasn't hungry. His bgl was good, but he had ketones, especially in the morning. I had to resort to root beer floats for breakfast to get some sugar into him to give him insulin to clear the ketones.

8. Lize

Lize Approved members

Just out of curiosity: how often (if no significant highs or lows), should I test Alicia for ketones? We test randomly once a week, but from she came out of hospital, she never had any ketones again.

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Does she like Gatorade? I buy the powdered version and mix it 3 times the Gatorade to water. Then it only takes a small amount to raise BG level.

I'm in the South. My non-D daughter fights fatigue, feeling cold and stomach ache (No vomitting) in the Spring and Fall. After trips to the ped, gasto dr, and allergist - it was determined to be migraines triggered by allergens.

The last couple of weeks have been horrid for her with ragweed. She has very dark circles under her eyes. An evening dose of Claritin and lots of Motrin gets her through the day.

I had thought of thyroid due to the tiredness, celiac due to the stomach ache and of course T1 is always lurking in the back of the mind. Stay active and have the doctors keep testing theories until there is an answer. It took us almost 18 months to get a definitive answer.