- advertisement -

Extra supplies in the classroom, in case of lock down.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Dec 15, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have been really bad about this I have to admit. In her backpack there is 1 juice box. The teacher has a roll of tabs. But other than that the nurse/clinical aide would bring her pump and supplies to her classroom in the event of a normal lock down.

After what happened yesterday, I can not be able to rely on anyone to get to my dd and there should be supplies in her classroom. There are rolls of tabs in specials, I think I need to include cell numbers and some simple instructions.

What are some snacks that have a long shelf life? both low carb and with carbs.

Tabs are great for a sugar source so thats covered. Water, extra BG meter/strips and Ketone meter. I don't think they will let me keep insulin in the mini fridge but I could ask. Glucagon.

What am I missing, what do you have/ found that works well for CYA situations.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

At the beginning of the year I distribute those inexpensive "take away" food containers with 2 juice boxes and a roll of tabs to all of Maddie's classrooms. To me, a lock-down kit is just a bare bones, keep her from going low, or treat a low, not anything else.

Our school was in semi-lock down yesterday and I was marginally reassured that she'd have that if she need it. But the fact is, in a true emergency no one is going to be having snacks or water, the kit is there for lows and lows only. I'd keep it simple.

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

in each of matts class room, I had a mini kit made up. I put in a baby coke that had 26 carbs, a roll of glucose tabs (that would be for extreme emergency as he HATES these) a glucose jell, several mini candy bars and smarties. You could bring in bags of candy for special rooms such as the library if you wanted, Im not sure what you could do about gym as they move around from place to place depending on activity.

I will have to say, I have a feeling, in such a situation, nobody is going to think about getting the kit. I guess I wouldnt blame them either. Those teachers are heros in my eyes. I cant imagine what they went through. but I would hazzard at that time, grabbing a diabetic kit would be not on the radar. They were shutting them in bathrooms and closets ect. Herding 20ish kids while gunshots are ringing out.... I wouldnt have grabbed a kit.

We have insulin in the fridge and glucogon at the nurses office. Not at all practical given yesterdays events. However, Im sure all teachers now have thier cells on them, They would at least be able to alert police of your childs whereabouts. Maybe having our kids carry cells is now more in order then before. As hard as we try, we will never be able to cover every senerio that can obviously crop up.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I know I can not prepare for anything like yesterday, what happened just brought to light that we are not very well prepared right now for any "true" lock down type of situation. When she must stay wherever she is and nothing ca be brought to her

Her school has been in lock down/ must stay in classroom several times due to fire/ shots heard in the hills behind the school/ and a police chase where the person left the car behind and the were looking for the person. In all those situations the nurse clinical aide went to the classroom with her stuff.

So I am just thinking of a minimum of things to have in the classroom or maybe just her backpack? Where she spends most of her time and in the specials classrooms more that just tabs with her name on it.

I don't know, it just got me thinking.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Obviously, nothing would ever prepare anyone for a situation like yesterday. I would suggest something small and easy for your daughter to grab that she could keep at her desk and she can carry from class to class. We had a ziplock with glucose, gel and juice in every special.

Remember though, in a lockdown situation, they don't want the kids to move. Make sure it is something that is easily accessible, make sure it doesn't get tucked away in a safe place.

6. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Our school prefers a bag to travel with him. It has glucagon, juice, granola bar, tester, tabs, and a laminated paper with step by step directions that tell the teacher he is with what to do. It travels with him to encore classes ( pe, art, etc) recess, assemblies, etc.

We haven't had lock downs but we have had several bomb threats and the kids had to be outside for a couple hours before returning to class or being released to parents. I feel more comfortable knowing the teacher has his go bag with them in case the nurse is unable to grab stuff from her office.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We have a kit in each class my DD has. Its a pencil box with a roll of tabs, fruit roll up, glucose gel, two small cans of apples juice. I use the cans because they're a little more durable and can't leak. I put a fruit roll up in there because in most situtations she refuses glucose tabs altogether. A Glucerna snack bar. I wouldn't buy them otherwise, but they are supposed to be a good meal replacement that keeps up a PWD's bg for a long time. They are tiny. I think granola bars can be really high glycemic index and wouldnt help for long if they did get stuck in a lock down for a long time. We ended up with a lot of extra meters sitting around and there was room in the pencil box, so we started putting a meter, 10 strips, and lancer in each kit. I put a copy of the basic info about low symptoms and what to do, plus cellphone numbers of mom and dad.

Its all probably overkill but my DD has been in lock downs that were not because of problems at the school, but issues nearby. One lasted a very long time because someone with a gun was hiding in the neighborhood next to the school and they couldnt find him. They didnt let them out of classrooms to eat lunch.

One lesson she learned the hard way was what do you do when you get moved out of the school. She had tested and was headed to lunch when they pushed everyone out the doors to stand across the street in the middle of the winter. They didnt let them open lockers. So no coats and she had left her kit in her locker after she tested for lunch. She doesn't do that anymore.

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

At the beginning of the school year, we distribute a small pencil case with a roll of glucose, pack of cheese and crackers (6, each about 4-5 g), honey packs or honey straws. The label on the outside has a photo of DD, her name, ane "emergency supplies" printed on it (along with a note asking that it be returned to the nurse at the end of he school year).

9. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

All of Daniel's teachers have a snack box. Juice and crackers, tabs and glucose squeeze tube. Only in the office we have extra supplies of food, instant mac and cheese, jar of peanut butter and cheese and pb crackers. Plus juices. I have supplies also nurses office with some individual milks which have a longer life shelf than regular milk. Thats about it.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

This kit sounds great. I agree with those that say the teacher might not grab but if you could keep this stuff in the kids desk or a bag by your kids' desk he/she might remember to grab and this would hold you off for quite a while from a low. Most of these sort of things are resolved within 12 hours so a bad, bad high is probably not the worry. You could also try and get your kid to carry a roll of glucose tabs in their pocket? If your kid has a small bag or purse that they cary their testing stuff in you could add some of this stuff, if they only have a testing kit on them then try and put some loose glucose tabs in, you can usually fit about 7 into the extra spaces. The earthquake, snowstorm emergency supply stuff is a bit easier to plan. Yesterdays type of thing is much harder. Mainly I would aim for as much fast acting carbs on the kid as possible, all the time. For me after 40 plus years of T1 my biggest fear anywhere anytime is not having a sugar source, you just can not turn off insulin already in your system.:(:(:(ali

11. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

In every classroom there is a ziplock with a juice, glucose tabs,gel and granola bar. There was one on her bus when she was younger. Simple and inexpensive. Only used once, when Ab ran out of tabs after school and one of her teachers gave her tabs from the ziplock-not a lockdown, but sure glad the tabs were there!

12. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I use a 4x6 index card case. It is small, but contained. It is just the right size to fit a package of cheese and crackers (I don't use peanut butter and crackers anymore because of food allergies) and either a tube of glucose gel or a roll of glucose tabs. I also tape on the outside what to do in an emergency in case of a low and my son's typical symptoms.

He carries his meter and skittles in his pencil bag and is told to take that with him everywhere - even fire drills, tornado drills, etc. The kit in the teacher's room is just backup in case he forgets his pencil bag.

I have a case in every room he goes to.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Our school doesn't request this, but it's what we've always done as well. He uses a small "Camelbak" backback that always contains his meter (that includes strips, lancets, and alcohol wipes), 1 vial of extra strips, glucagon, 2 juice boxes, and 2 vials of glucose tablets. I check his pack almost daily to ensure it has everything he needs. I also feel better that his pack is always with him in every classroom should they ever have to evacuate or God forbid, shelter in place.