- advertisement -

Extra meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Feb 9, 2012.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I was just wondering how many people have an extra meter to go along with their pump meter (ping)? I was thinking about getting one of the onetouch mini meters just to carry around with us, Like if im just going out for an hour or so instead of taking the big meter case out with me everytime?
    Is there a way to get one for free or do you just buy it at the store?

2. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

We leave the ping at home unless it is a party or family member's house. Otherwise, I have a spare meter in his classroom, the gym, the nurses office, grandma's and the cars. One touch has coupons in the paper for $10 off a meter. So I either got the meter for free or paid around 7 dollars for the spare.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Sometimes your endo will have some to give out as samples. It wouldn't hurt to call One Touch and ask. They make their money off the test strips not the meter. If those don't work, the Ultra-minis are usually inexpensive.

We always carry the Ping meter. With a girl, many times the pump just isn't convenient to get to. I do have several Ultra-minis scattered around in case the Ping fails.

4. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

find pump reps and such. get them for free. We have procured 4 ultra links for matts pump. the pump will only talk to three of them at a time, and we have the forth for a spare. One at school, one at home, and one in the kit we take with us when we go out. We also have about 6 "ants" in the house. Gotten for free of cource. One is pink and is my dog penelopes. She is a type 1 diabetic as well. I also keep an "ant" in my purse at all times. The other meters, I gave away to friends with D who dont have the best insurance.

we are getting a new pump for matt next week, I wonder if they will be sending another meter?

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I have about five "extra"meters

3 one touch minis
    1 one touch ultra
    1 contur

i never really use them, but If I'm going away over night I'll bring one along, I also will keep one in my car when I get my license. I bring the meter remote everywhere with me=) other than the beach/theme park

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Medtronic gave me 3 Contour Links when I bought my pump. I also have a ton of other meters, my favorites being the Freestyles.

7. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I always have a back-up in my purse. And probably 4 "back-ups" in different areas at home.

Glad I do have a back-up. She fried the meter in her bag once by leaving it out under scorching heat and it stopped working.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ping stays at home.
    Meter in dance bag.
    Meter to/from school.
    Meter in nurses office in case school bag is forgotten.
    Spare in my purse.
    Spare in her bedroom.

I don't think I have ever paid for any of these...

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

10. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Just call the pump company. We are starting on Omnipod and I called Abbott (supplier of the test strips used with Omnipod) and they sent me a free meter that uses the same test strips as the omnipod.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We have between 10-12 extra meters LOL! you can get them free. I've gotten a couple through that way. I went to one touch's website to get a free meter. I've also used coupons to get a couple dollars off a meter.

12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Ping stays at home or I will bring with us out to dinner so I can bolus across the table
    One touch mini - back up meter in nurses office
    One touch mini - in Tyler's school backpack
    One touch mini - in Tyler's "out and about" diabetes bag
    One touch ultra link - In Tyler's "overnight" suplus supply bag

I am yet to pay for a meter, have either gotten them from endo's office or Onetouch

13. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We bring our ping meter everywhere and have a spare for back-up. We used to use the Freestyle Lite but switched to the Precision Xtra so that we had the combination blood ketone and glucose meter.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My name is Nancy and I am a meter-o-holic. Seriously, we probably have 7 or 8 meters and use them all. He has his Ping, but it's honestly my least favorite and I'm trying to wean him from it, he never uses it to bolus, only as a meter and it's big and bulky and uses too much blood.

He has 2 of the little one touch for backpacks and my purse.

He has 2 accucheck avivas, though one is awol at the moment. Aviva is my preference and I've started refilling the strips for this more recently. Less blood, fewer errors, and the strips are cheaper with the savingscard I got with the meter ($15). He keeps one by his bed and on in the kitchen but I'm working on getting him to use one as his primary instead of the Ping.

He has an accucheck compact for football.

Only frustration is trying to keep up with strips, I get freebies of whatever my insurance hasn't covered from the endo, but they don't always have enough and we end up scrambling or using only one brand.

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We don't have a PING but we have two ultra links for our main meter (one at home and one at school) then we have a ton of mini's!

One in school backpack, one in nurses office, one in each sports bag, one in the "big" diabetes bag, one in my purse, and then extras in the drawer.

I get them from my endo or one touch has sent them to me for free. I had to contact my minimed rep to get the second ultra link.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have spare One Touch meters like the Mini and Ultra and home, school and car. We get them free from endo.

17. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

This made me laugh, I thought we were overkill. We have one at grandmas, at least three at home, one in the truck, one at the sitters, one at the cabin, at least one in my wifes purse aka Hermione's magic bag. And we know which family & neighbors within 3 blocks have meters and test strips.

18. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We hardly ever use the ping meter to check bg. We use freestyle lite because it uses less blood. I do however take the ping meter with us every time we go out to bolus. I don't take the big meter case, just the remote, which fits nicely in my purses' cell phone pocket.

19. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We have 1 of each color onetouch mini's, 2 onetouch ultra's, 2 Freestyle Lite's, and a Nova Max plus (only for blood ketones testing) all free. Got a couple from the Endo at diagnoses, Onetouch has sent e-mails for free one's, Freestyle & Nova Max Plus sent free one through the mail (filled out the form on their web site's), and some coupons used. I seem to have collected a lot of them since June.

Now that I am sitting here counting them up, I think I might be becoming a meter hoarder:rolleyes:

20. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I have a spare meter in my purse, one at school, one at grandma's house...and a drawer full of meters I've accumulated through the free offers on manufacturer's websites (they each send a meter and ~10 strips for it.) A couple of my friends and family members requested them too, so that's how my drawer fillled.

I like having spares "just in case". Plus I figure he's going to have this forever and insurance may come and go, so I stockpile anything and everything I can. :cwds: