- advertisement -

Extra Meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by robinseggs, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Kara

Kara Approved members

I've never paid for a meter either. If you need any Freestyle Lites, I can get you some.

2. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

call the company directly and ask for them to send you a free meter. Since they make the money on the strips, they give them away. I got an extra One Trouch Mini for school, and I also recently got an accu Check Compact (which is great for travel). They have commercials on all the time for a free meter (not sure what companies). They give away meters at the Diabetes shows and camps, so you really shouldn't have a problem getting an extra one. Good luck!!

3. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

I would call the Freestyle folks right now. I am a drug rep and I am sure they will give you more than one for free if you need it. I am in drug closets all day and I see a lot of Freestyles in stacks. Also try and call your own MD---because so many adults have type 2 these meters are in every MD office. I have 6 and have never used my insurance for any.

4. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

A lot of the times if you have a meter with a certain company and you contact them, they are more than willing to supply you with a spare (for free). After all, they don't make their money off of the sale of meters, strips are where the profit is at. So try giving your meter company a go.

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I just love this place. :D Look at all the "i'll send you one" replies!
    If I had a Freestyle, I'd send you mine also.

I'm going to repeat the others... get on the phone and have the company send you TWO, you always need a spare in case something goes wrong. We also carry an extra in each vehicle, school, daycare, and grandparents house.

6. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Go to freestylelite.com, there was a commercial on TV earlier.

7. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

When Kylee was first diagnosed, I bought a meter, but havent paid for one since. Her diagnosis was an absolute disaster and I had no idea what I was even looking for, so I just grabbed one and went to the check out. I was told then that our insurance would only cover one meter. They didnt tell me that the one I picked wasnt the preferred one and not only did the meter cost more, but the strips were going to cost more too. She was later life flighted out and admitted to the hospital, and after talking to the CDE the next day and telling her about the meter we had, she told me never to pay for a meter again. All the endos offices have them and the company you chose should give them to you for no charge too.