- advertisement -

Express scripts and livongo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Megnyc, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Anyone know anything about this? I am seriously hoping express scripts won't make everyone switch to the livongo meter. I tried it through their free trial for college students and I was not impressed with it at all. I would actually probably end up paying out of pocket for strips instead of using it (I only test a few times a day with the dex anyway). I would love any additional information on this. I am all for reducing the cost of test strips to both the insurer and the patient but there is something a bit too "big brother" like about livongo's approach for me.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

From what I understand, they're going to make it an option along with their other preferred strips. My son HATED the Livongo meter and strips. They also read much lower than his Verio IQ, and since his Verio is always in sync with his A1C, we decided against continuing with it.

Funny story about the meter -- I had cancelled the subscription well over a month ago and this weekend my son decided to use that meter for a science project he was doing. The first reading was below 20 and low and behold I received a text and in the midst of me responding to the text I received a phone call from one of their nurses. I apologized and told them what he was doing and to ignore any further readings as he doesn't use the meter anymore. I'm afraid to think what would have happened if I hadn't answered their call - an ambulance might have shown up at our door, lol. I agree it's definitely too "big brother". :wink:

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I haven't heard of this meter yet. Express Scripts seems to be dying to go the Big Brother route. I have severe asthma and received a letter asking me to be a part of a program they're doing where you place a device on your rescue inhaler and it connects via Bluetooth to your smart phone, then tracks how often, what times of day, and where you're using your inhaler. No thanks. I don't consistently use one inhaler anyway- I have one for my bedroom, one for work, one for my purse, and when I'm really flaring, I use nebs. I'd hate to end up in the ER and they tell me that wasn't justified because I didn't use my inhaler enough first, when really I had been doing neb treatments every few hours.

4. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I looked this meter up, but really couldn't find out too much information on it. But reading Caspi's post, I really don't think I would like it if they call you every time you have a low or high sugar. I think too much technology isn't always a good thing. I am glad that I can upload my son's pump and meter and call Children's to get information on what to change, but I don't think I would like to be called just because they see one number they don't like.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

You can change the settings to whatever you like but I think it's mandatory to get a call from them if you're under a certain number. I signed up for a free month to see what it was all about since it was unlimited test strips and wasn't going to involve insurance since the cost would have only been $25 a month, so they didn't have our insurance info. But I wasn't comfortable with my son's BG readings being "out there" for who-knows-who to see. It definitely felt like an invasion of privacy.

The meter itself is a bit big and "clunky". The test strips are HUGE and my son hated them. To be honest they WERE easier for me to get out of the vial when checking him in the middle of the night. :wink: I can certainly see this program being beneficial to seniors that might appreciate the monitoring and especially the test strips. :) But again, the number one issue for us was how it read so much lower than his Verio. But that was just our experience.

6. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Gotcha. I watched the video on the site, but it really didn't give much information. If it is cheaper without insurance, then it might nice for those that have higher co-pays.