- advertisement -

Explaining Pump to 3 Year Old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DylansMama, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DylansMama

DylansMama Approved members

We have successfully fast-tracked the pump process and in less than a month from our request to our doctor we are going to be starting at the end of the week.

We have shown our son the pump and told him he will be keeping it with him all the time. We have also told him that it will mean no more shots. At our last appt with the CDE, she put the infusion set on his shrek figure, so he could see where it will go. Nonetheless, I really don't think that he understands how this is all going to fit together.

Does anyone else have advice on explaining the pump to a toddler?

With saline starting Wednesday and starting insulin on Friday, I'm just not sure what else to do to prepare him. He was diagnosed at 18 months and we have had no real issues with anything else for his diabetes care, but he's in the terrible three's now, and all bets are off. Eye drops can send him into a tail spin, but he's still ok with his shots. I'm just hoping for a couple of good days for the start of it all.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

One suggestion - my husband and I wore the pump for the "saline trial." It's very hard to explain to a 3 year old why they have to wear the pump AND get shots. Just a suggestion.

Also, we had a small wrapped toy all ready to give him once the first site went in. A new Ben10 figure or the like can be a welcome distraction for a little one. ;)

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

4. DylansMama

DylansMama Approved members

Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I looked at the first couple of pages where it talks about different kinds of pumps in the world (e.g. gas pumps, etc.). Humorously (and unfortunately) the pump he is actually most familiar with is a breast pump which is all about taking out and not putting something in.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I understand. A long time ago, I wanted to make a T-shirt which said "Mommy's little pumper", then someone said that could be interpreted as BF.:D

The book is quite neat.

6. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

Loren started her pump a couple days after she turned 2. To be honest it never even phased her. when we did the saline trial my husband and I wore it for 24hrs after she did and she thought it was just funny. Maybe get him a special toy and show him pictures of other kiddos wearing pumps. Did you get a pump pouch for him? maybe make it his favorite color/theme!

7. simom

simom Approved members

My son started at pumping at age 3. We introduced him to pumps through is babysitters, who explained that instead of having shots, they used the pump. Our son was very interested in seeing other people's pumps, and chose purple because he knew several people with purple.

We emphasized that we would need to do set changes now, but would not need to do shots UNLESS we thought his pump was not working. (We have had to correct with syringe a handful of times when we've had bad sets). We had been given the (I think good) advice that some shots may still be necessary on a very rare basis - so to let them know of that.

We liked the book about Super K who doesn't just have diabetes, he has FLY-abetes. He gets a pump at one point during the book.

Finally - we let him pick several pump packs, and we also let him pick the color of his pump, and the first "skin" that we put on the pump. Those types of choices were fun for him and made it seem special.

In many ways, it seemed like the adults around him (day care providers, grandparents) required more explaining than he did.

He loves his pump. He keeps asking my mom (Type 2) when she is going to get one!

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

FYI, the name of this book is "Even Superheroes Get Diabetes." :)

9. simom

simom Approved members

thanks Hawkeye girl! I was at work and couldn't grab our well-loved copy.
    By the way, we got our copy from Medtronic in a promotional pack.....