- advertisement -

Expired strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rakgyk, Sep 29, 2013.

1. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

I was cleaning my kitchen and found an old bag we used to use for his supplies and I found and old box of unopened strips that expired October of last year. We were curious to see how accurate they would be so when we just tested Gavi, we used a good strip then we used an expired strip. The good strip read 70 and the expired strip read 71. Makes you wonder ow long strips really last after the listed expiration date.

2. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

Hmmm. Good to know! How were they stored, just in a cabinet? Are you going to use the rest of them?

I assumed they lasted somewhat longer than their expiration date, but a year is pretty good!

3. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

We use a soft lunchbox as his kit whenever we go out. It was sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets in a lunchbox for about a year (we switched to a bigger lunchbox to fit more of his stuff). I don't plan on using them to get an accurate reading. We're just curious to see if the numbers on the expired strips are close to the numbers on the new strips.

4. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

It's easy to believe that the expiration date is the date the strip just kind of self-destructs and falls apart, but it is probably the EARLIEST date that the company doesn't want to guarantee the sterility. After that date seals break, glue deteriorates, etc. and they just can't guarantee things. The strips themselves will probably work another 10 years. Lots depends on how they are handled and stored (temperature, humidity, etc.)

5. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

Yeah, that's why I wondered how they were stored.

By the way, I lived in Davis for 8 years - love that part of CA!

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I don't remember what one but we had a meter that wouldn't let you use expired strips. :(
    I'm glad your does, finding a box of unopened strips it kinda like hitting a the jackpot! LOL!