- advertisement -

expired sensors?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I just realized we have been using expired G4 sensors for the last couple of weeks, and have 4 more boxes with August or September 14 expiration dates. We also have a HUGE stockpile of sensors with 2015 expiration dates because our supplier has been refilling 1X/week for a long time, and we generally use them for 10 days. I haven't noticed a decline in accuracy but I also wasn't paying close attention until I realized all of this in the last few days.

Any firm evidence on how long sensors last past the expiration dates, and any good strategies on what to do with expired sensors? My husband wants to toss them because if we use the currently expired sensors we're basically signing up to use expired sensors in perpetuity, since that will push out when we use the ones with the later expiration dates. I see his logic, but I feel awful about tossing the whole lot if they're accurate, knowing how much they cost.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

First thing I would do is cancel your shipments so you don't keep stockpiling. I was doing that for a while with pump supplies and eventually had about 30 boxes of expired infusion sets and cartridges. I haven't used an expired sensor but those are "close" and there is a good chance they'll still be fine.

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I think it depends a lot on how they're stored. We use a cold storage room in our basement and we are currently using sensors that expired more than a year ago. We've gotten too far ahead a couple of times and thrown out expired sensors. But this last time I just kept using them and they have all been fine. Not a single failed sensor. Sensors are the one thing I do stop shipments on frequently. I just can't stockpile them like everything else.

4. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

If you were in Canada you'd have people lined up at your door to take your expired sensors.

Many health insurance companies in Canada are still in the dark ages with respect to T1D management, and most plans don't cover CGM. That means many pay out of pocket for CGM if they can afford it, or are having to do without CGM if they can't. Very sad, as I can't imagine not having Dex in our T1D toolbox, after having managed T1D with & without CGM.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have used sensors slightly past the expiration date but not by much. I have found that the dex sensors are much more sensitive to the expiration date than the medtronic sensors which worked well for 2+ years after expiration. I only get 5-7 days out of a sensor expired by 6 months instead of the normal 10-21 days. You could probably just give them away. I was in a similar situation and gave the really expired ones away to be used for training and the ones that were still usable but soon to expire away to a local family without insurance coverage for dexcom. I also shut off the auto shipment of 2 boxes a month (8 sensors-- I only use 1-2 a month!!!) that I didn't even know I was signed up for. I was really annoyed because the boxes of sensors piled up while I was out of town so I didn't even know I was getting them. I feel guilty that my insurance paid for more than I needed :(

6. Jordansmom

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

8. Jordansmom

The one she's using now expired 10/2013. But that was unintentional. We missed a stray box in the rotation, so I gave it a shot. Most have been 6-8 months old.

9. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks everyone. Meg and Dad, you make good points about donating them, and Meg, it hadn't occurred to me that they might find a home with trainers. If anyone can use a few boxes as we try to whittle through our oversupply, feel free to pm me. thanks!

10. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Snowflake,
    I would take some if you have them. I did private message you.
    Wendy