advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expired pump supplies...how long would you still use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have two boxes of cartridges that expired in Sep. 2010 that slipped to the back of my closet.

The only concern I would have (and a very small concern) is the quality of the rubber o ring.

Anyone else use expired supplies? It would be a real shame if I had to toss them.

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I know a mod will be along to remind everyone that there's a reason for expiration dates...

I was told that the "failure point" would be with the o-ring. If that's the case, you could have insulin leak back out and not go into the body, which could have a wide range of ramifications, from mild blood sugar increases, to large spikes with ketones.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I have used a lot of expired pump supplies and never had a problem.--but remember I am type 2.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I didn't know you were T2, either way your opinion is always valuable!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

sometimes your doctor or local rep can answer the question without really giving an answer...we were using a site with a MM pump that was not a luer lock, as ordered by MD and rep helped us with it but did explain it was not "reccomended practice". the information he had to share was very helpful, especially compared to the 24 hour helpline where they told us it was impossible.

6. DRANMA

DRANMA New Member

All med supplies in the US MUST be "good" for 1 YEAR after the "expiration date" on them so these should be OK if the package was closed and they didn't get wet etc. I have been told that most of this stuff is good for far longer but the FDA etc makes them have an expiry date.

You could always fill one with water and see if it leaks

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

does this go for unopened test strips as well?