- advertisement -

Expiration of Precision Xtra ketone strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama Salty, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mama Salty

Mama Salty Approved members

Hi. At my daughter's last endo visit, we discussed blood ketone testing and I was initially told that her insurance would not cover it and that the ketone strips were not only expensive but had a very short time period before expiration date. (They also were discouraging and said there wasn't really any advantage to using them.) Later, I got a MyChart message saying the insurance *would* cover the ketone strips but not the meter itself and they called the rx in to Rite Aid. So I went to the Abbott website and signed up to get a free meter, got it in the mail, went to Rite Aid...and was told insurance (Medi-Cal/Partnership Health/CCS) would NOT cover the strips. (No idea if Rite Aid is screwing up or if docs were mistaken.)

So now I'm wondering whether I should just buy the strips out of pocket but I can't find any specific info about what sort of expiration period I'm actually looking at. One month? 6 months? I have seen on here that people sometimes reset the date on the meter in order to use expired ones, but I'm not sure how long past the expiration I'd be comfortable using them, and I just want some idea if obtaining them OoP makes any sense budget-wise for me (that is - how frequently would I need to repurchase). Can anyone who has these tell me how far the expiration date tends to be from the date you get them? Thanks to anyone who has this info.

(Docs also neglected to mention during "boot camp" that the Ketostix container expired six months after opening it. I've had container open for a year and just learned it expired by searching these forums for info on the blood ketone strips...)

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I checked our latest refill of Precision xtra blood ketone strips, filled last month. The expiration is July 2016. That feels like a slightly longer shelf life than we usually get, which I think is usually more like six months. We filled this one through Walgreens instead of mail order, which might account for the difference. If you're paying oop at CVS instead of buying online (which might be a little cheaper), maybe you can ask the pharmacist to search for the boxes with the farthest-out expiration?

If you can swing it financially, I think it's worth paying out of pocket, as the blood meter gives much more precise and timely information. We paid oop for about a year when a prior insurer declined coverage. I test ketones more often than most posters on here - partly because my dd still picks up lots of stomach bugs at preschool - but we average fewer than 5 ketone strips a month.

3. Mama Salty

Mama Salty Approved members

Thank you, Snowflake. I think if they last 6 months, I can manage it. A year would be even better...obviously.

Today I talked to the person in the pharmacy at Rite Aid who handles the insurance issues and she told me the insurance *would* cover the strips if the docs wrote a letter of medical necessity - but they decided NOT to do that. So I'm pretty annoyed about that. It's like it went in a big pointless circle from the docs prescribing them to the docs refusing to write a letter so we could actually get them... I sent them a message explaining why *I* think it's medically necessary - my daughter gets migraines a few times a month, usually with vomiting, and I can't get her to pee on a stick while she's sick in bed all day/night with her headache. The docs already know this though, so I'm not hopeful on that front but if I only have to oop a couple of times a year, that may just work.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

The strips are individually wrapped and while not recommended, I have heard of many folks that have used expired ones without problems. He trick is to turn the clock back on the meter.