- advertisement -

Expert: Children with diabetes face trouble

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ellen, Mar 17, 2011.

1. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Agreed.. I had the same tummy pooch as a teen, well before D was in the picture (and I had it even when I was "skinny") and so does my almost 6 year old daughter, who weighs all of 40lbs... she's skinny (25th percentile for weight, somewhere around 50th percentile for height), but has a layer of fat on her lower belly. I think honestly it's just a genetic pattern of fat distribution... since it's exactly like I had as a kid. My older sister doesn't have it, but she's built more like my dad (and his mom) and I am built more like my mom.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You notice the pooch of fat in the middle section a lot more on kids because of the clothes that are worn. Pants no longer come up to the natural waistline and shirts are barely long enough to reach the top of the pants/shorts/skirt.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well said - this is all the article is suggesting.

4. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

well, Kat is a tad overweight, but her endo keeps telling me her BMI is good (22) so its ok. We all have our obstacles in life. Hers happens to be food, and the way her body reacts to it. I try very hard to make sure no one singles her out for it (all her siblings and cousins are as thin as bean poles). Its no different I guess than.....an addictive personality. And addictions can manifest in so many ways.....