- advertisement -

Experiences with freestyle libre

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Apr 14, 2015.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I saw an old thread (made by Wilf I think) about the Libre. I didn't want to resurrect it, but I've been using the Libre for a couple of days now (mum ordered it for my Christmas present, there was a LONG waiting list so finally came :) ).

Comments on the old thread focused quite a bit on how it's a step down from current CGM devices. For me, there are quite a lot of pros:

1. No transmitter cost, reader is cheap and has a 3 year warranty. AND is a meter too, so no need to carry loads of things around.

2. It's advertised to replace fingersticks. Hopefully this will be true for me once I'm confident on the accuracy.

3. No need for calibration. This might not be a big deal to organised people with stable BG levels, but I'm not that organised so used to end up with several hours where I forgot to calibrate and thus had no data, or would have to calibrate at the wrong time and got crazy data, or calibrated after putting pressure on the sensor (i.e. during a false low) and then all my readings got falsely high. Being able to just do it without calibration is a big deal.

4. THE PRICE. Sensors for the Enlite are £60 for 6 days; I rarely had any luck extending that. Libre sensors are £48 and last 14 days (they replace if not), so that makes the Libre less than half the price. Which is awesome because a) I might actually be able to use it and b) the NHS over here might actually fund it.

5. The adhesive situation seems amazing. It's just stuck on, no extra tape required. It's so flat I don't think it will be pulled off by accident.

6. Lack of alarms is a disadvantage, but also sort of good. The MM alarms are so quiet they will wake my girlfriend but not me, which is very annoying for her as they go off all night sometimes because of false lows. I often found myself just turning the alarms off and looking at the thing periodically, which is basically what I'm doing with this. It feels less obtrusive to me to scan when I want than to have it shoved in my face all the time, lol.

So basically I think it is good for some people who aren't suited to CGM or who can't afford it. I think I'd prefer a CGM, if it had the same sensor, price and display screen! But I think I prefer this to the Enlite which is my only other real option, mostly because of the fact that I can actually afford to use it. :p

I know it's not available in the US (or Canada?) but if anyone has any experiences to share that would be great. I'm currently deciding if I can afford the thing full-time.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We also have a Libre and I agree with everything you have said... My one gripe is that if you get an "off" sensor, you can't pull it back into line - its off - and determinedly off for its 14 days. Our last one read 3-4 mmol below the fingerprick test on the same meter for the whole time. So if you were relying solely on Libre you would get the correct line but too low a line. Which might make you think you were sitting at a good number when actually you weren't. They do say Abbott are good at replacing them with proof though.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I can imagine that would be really annoying. The one I have on now is persistently a touch low (about 1mmol) but it's consistent enough to be ok! Much more off would be a problem when it comes to treating etc.

I had a strange experience yesterday. BG was 7 and Libre agreed, and then an hour later (no food and I'd washed hands recently) Libre still said 7 and meter said 19.9. I was like "what??" and thought the Libre was wrong, but rechecked with my meter and my BG was actually 8. Completely messed with my mind, now I wonder how often my meter is wrong and I don't even notice because I don't retest... It's a huge dosage difference between a 19.9 and a 7/8!! Enough to make you want to always use two meters :p

4. andiej

andiej Approved members

We have been using the Libre since October full time for my son (aged 11), he is also on the Omnipod. We love it, we havent' had the luxury of CGM as we would have to self fund, yes alarms would be useful but I don't currently feel the need to pay the extra as i'd want them for night time which at the moment the libre has shown he is reasonably stable. We find it highly accurate, at higher readings i suspect it's more accurate than the the meter in the Omnipod, this is where we might get bigger differences in the readings. Yesterday we had a clinic appointment the software for the libre predicted an hba1c of 7. It came in at 6.9 so i think that suggests it's highly accurate for us.

As for eliminating finger pokes, my sons fingers are now a thing of beauty again. We only poke to confirm he has come up from a hypo but we also still do a poke before bed to ensure the sensor is tracking correctly. Not all pumps will allow you to input a reading from the libre into the pump to bolus from but the Omnipod does so that has also helped us to bring down the number of pokes.

I'm not for one minute suggesting those on CGM should change over but I would strongly recommend it for anyone who doesn't have CGM for financial reasons. It's been a game changer for us, whilst his hba1c is slightly up, in this quarter we have seen his honeymoon end, puberty kick in and the usual school holiday highs over Easter. Without seeing what was going on with the Libre I think we would still be busy trying to get levels right from the end of the honeymoon and the HBA1C would have been higher.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks folks for these posts. Your experiences are confirming what I was expecting this device to offer.

Am still hoping to pick one up for DD later this year. :cwds: