- advertisement -

Experience with After-school program

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Kelly.Marie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

Hi there,
    In September, Jack will be in first grade and will need care from 3p-4p. We are thinking of using the local YMCA after program but I have a lot of hesitation. Anyone have any experience?
    Thanks

2. Kelly.Marie

experience with after-care programs in general, not our local program.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

it is just an hour.

What is your childs school testing scheduale before they would go?

Is transport involved?

We use before school care, but it is at the school.

4. Kelly.Marie

No transport involved. I know the school nurse is there at 3pm and she would test him and either treat a low or give insulin. I guess she could even give him a snack. I will talk to her next week.
    And, it is only an hour.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have a folder that is to stay in her back pack at all times. It has instructions that i have given to bothe the before school care and the after school art program.

I have also made sure they have a copy in their folders. adnd she puts her backpack at the sign in table so they can find it easily

In the instructions I go over the basics of identifing lows in my child. If they feels that she is exibiting a low of if she says she is low them they are to give a juice box and alert the front office and to call me. or someone else that can help that is closer to the school.

I am not bothering with them testing her, I would rather them give her a juice box and alert the front office, I am pleased that the school secretary has been taught to test mckenna, and she has access to the nurses office where I have detailed insructions for her care.

We too are only dealing with 1 hour of time for the before and art after school care.

For the before school care they do play hard and I have to back off her breakfast bolus on those days but the afterschool art program a normal snack right before has been fine.

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My son works at the after school program in our district m-f. He had to complete an online course before he started to work. He has also gone to several first aid and health emergency classes. Diabetes was covered as well as adminstering shots and child abuse signs. I was surprised at the amount of training he had plus he had a full background check. Find out what the counselor requirements are at the facility you are looking into.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I also met with the person that would be there on the day that my dd was so that we could go over everything, she was a paramedic so that made me feel great. but everyone that in the program has gone thru medical training on the basics of allot of of conditions more that the clinical aide that is at the school!

8. Kelly.Marie

Thank you both so much for your input! I spoke to the school nurse who will test Jack at 3pm and give him bolus/snack. I also spoke to two parents whose children attend (non-D) and are very happy. So, next step is to give them a call and go from there.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would ask what they "normally do" in that time period. If it is something "active' you may just need a bg check and no bolus, or a combo bolus to ensure that a low does not occur. Although this is afterschool, where I have had to deal with before school massive breakfast bolus.