- advertisement -

Expected to care for another T1 kid on field trips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Yellow Tulip, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

DS had a field trip this past week. He has another D kid in his class whose parents both work and find it hard to take time off to go on field trips. They have been there on every field trip so far, but this last one they couldn't make it.

So before we left, the school nurse casually mentions to me if I could keep an eye on the other kid. That neither of the parents can make it on this field trip and it would really help them out. I agreed, knowing that they've always gone of field trips before and assuming it was just a one time situation. It was also a short field trip, and it didn't seem like such a big deal.

Well, I just heard from another mom that the D kid's mom was telling everyone that she's not going on any more field trips, and that I'm on the trips anyway so I can take care of her kid. :eek: I have received no phone calls to ask about this arrangement. I know nothing of this child's care regimen. I don't know what the school's position is on this, or if they even know what she's planning on doing. I hope they have enough sense to say no to this, or at the very least contact me and ask my opinion :eek:

Some people are just unbelivable...

2. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Wow, that is a mess. You need to speak to the other parent and the school. I don't know the legal ramifications of you taking on that role. Will they release you from any liability?

3. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

I believe Illinois has a "Good Samaritan" law which should relieve her of legal responsibility. But you have a good point.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. KHM

KHM Approved members

The school is obligated to provide qualified, competent oversight for any kid with T1D while that student is engaged in school activities. You can't be that person unless you've been so designated...and I would think you'd have to be aware of it for that to be the case. I'd side-step the parents on this (you've heard things but you know how that goes..) and take it up with the school counselor, not the nurse who kind of just dropped it on you.

I would be reluctant to pick up that responsibility. Its nice to help people out and all but the truth is, the school is on the hook in terms of liability for that kid's wellbeing during school hours. You're not part of the liability reduction plan.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh no no no!!!! Why on earth did these parents ever get a silly idea like that? I would nip this in the bud before the next field trip and let these folks know that you dont want to take on this kind of responsibility. When this child is on field trips the school is responsible and liable for his health and safety. I know you'd like to help them out but they cant expect you to take on such a huge burden.

6. Yellow Tulip

That's exactly it. I would be more than happy to help out. But it's the sense of entitlement of the other parents that just got to me. If they called me, asked what I thought about this idea, gave me some information about their child and her care, I'd most likely agree. But to just assume I'll do it? Without asking? How can you?

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

did YOU hear her say that? If not, I'd say it was heresay and otherwise gossip. I'd stay out of that one!!! Truly, unless you heard it yourself, people love to stir the pot and embellesh things:cool:

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am really surprised that the school would be okay with this. It's one thing for me to go on a field trip with my son but I would never be allowed to "tend to" another D child. As a matter of fact, last year I had a conflict and a friend of mine, who from time to time is a substitute nurse at our school, had volunteered to watch over Cameron on the field trip (her daughter was in Cameron's class) and the school said no - they made sure there was a school employee trained in D care.

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Can you approach the mom and ask her about what you heard?
    I wouldn't mind caring for another child
    either but it's the assumption that's killing me. Hope you get this sorted out.

10. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

It would be interesting to hear the school's response if they are asked to sign a "hold harmless" or liability waiver for helping to chaperon children on a field trip.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If the school wants to have you incharge of the other kid on the field trip then they need to compensate you. Its one thing if the parent had asked you, if your friends, and doing her a favor, or if you swap out field trips.. its another for the school to expect you to be doing it without even being asked or being compensated.

12. Yellow Tulip

I agree. I will however say no to the school, if they ask. I would help out another parent in a pinch, but I don't feel this obligation towards the school.

13. Yellow Tulip

You know, I really hope she didn't mean what was conveyed to me by the other parent. I'm just curious to see what unfolds. Hopefully nothing. The fact that the school asked me to watch over her last week though makes me think there is some credibility to this, and it scares me that the school might even consider me to be a solution.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I would not approach the parent or the school. Just go about your business and if it happens the 2nd time say "sorry - I did it in a pinch last time but I don't feel comfortable doing it again."

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think, since you have a school nurse, I'd use her as the intermediary.

I'd call her and say, "I was happy to help out on that last trip, but I realize, having thought about it, that it isn't a good situation and I won't be comfortable taking on responsibility for another D kid in the future." And leave it at that. I would not call the mom.

Having said that to the nurse, I would assume that she would see to it that I was not again asked to care for the other child.

Good luck!

16. Yellow Tulip

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to approach the other mom, since I wasn't a part of the original conversation. But I'll be on the lookout for any other situations like this, and try to make my preferences clear. I will have a conversation with the school nurse, though. She needs to know I'm not comfortable doing this.

17. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

its the school's responsiblility to provide someone, not yours especially not being your child!
    my dd's school has gone as far as paying me to go when i was not expected to go for a trip and the nurse suddenly called out sick ...it was a time situation as this was all the morning of the trip and luckaly i ended up having the day free but i told them i could not afford the trip or i would have planned to go in the first place so the principal gave me peddy cash to cover my gas and lunch and enterance (parents were not allowed to ride on the bus with the students) thinking back on this even though i should have pushed to just ride the bus even though i was just behind them still what if she would have had a low on the bus ride there or back

18. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

That was my thought as well. Perhaps it's true, but I would want to know more.

19. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Given how much T1 varies from child to child, I can't imagine that anyone would think this was a good idea. I'm a good caregiver to my child, but I'd be very worried about taking on the responsibility of another T1 child without having a fairly detailed conversation about carb ratios, hypo awareness and whether the other child was MDI or pumping. Having zero experience with a pump, I'd be terrified to be responsible responsible for a child with a pump...even if the child is old enough to handle the pump himself. No..just no....

I would definitely have a conversation with the nurse, not the other mom. Since you didn't hear the comment yourself you have only what you know...and what you know is that the nurse thought it was a good idea to simply ask you "to keep an eye" on this other child, without giving you the opportunity to say no or inform you about his diabetes...

20. selketine

selketine Approved members

I guess the problem is that if you approach the parent and she denies saying anything like that then it is a very awkward situation. I think telling the nurse that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing it again is also a good solution. It is always possible she did not say that, or her comments were altered in the retelling, so I think you have to give the benefit of doubt.