- advertisement -

Exercise with high numbers..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cabins Crue, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

so if you read my post yesterday.. we forgot to dose for a sweet breakfast and my son got to 557.. our knee jerk reaction is to get him to exercise to help drop that number. Well this morning my husband and I were wondering if there is any danger is exercising when you are that high.. So I told him I would ask the "experts" on CWD.. and if exercise is not recommended,, then what do you do?.. besides a correction of course:)

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well.. I once fainted after exercising when high. I don't think it was the high in itself, but I was pretty dehydrated (running whilst high in really hot weather).

Generally I'll exercise when high as long as I don't have any ketones, but I always make sure to drink a lot of water since that experience! That's the general rule, from what I've heard. If there are ketones present, exercise can make the situation worse.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

First I'd correct, then push water and if my dd felt like it I'd send her out to run around :cwds:

Exercise with highs should only be avoided if ketones are present.

4. Denise

Denise Approved members

For us, our endo says as long as she has no ketones and she feels ok...exercise is fine. We of course push water but to be honest...if we didn't let her exercise with a high bg, she may never play sports b/c she gets adrenaline highs w/ sporting events.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The knee jerk reaction should be another injection rather than exercise. It is the lack of insulin that usually causes a high like that rather than the lack of exercise.

6. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

We were told anything over 300 ketones or not dont exercise because we use the urine ketone strips and there is a 2 hour delay on keytones with those. So just because her urine doesnt show ketones right now with a BG that high doesnt mean they wont in two hours. So I dont take the chance if she is that high she doesnt exercise. Until her numbers are down and I do a two hour post high ketone test.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Absolutely you need blood ketone strips and if they are present then it is DANGEROUS to exercise because of the build up of acid already present in the blood stream. Exercise would just create more ketones and push your child towards DKA.

8. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

In my house if your high your in the couch until a correction starts bringing you down... no argument.. i dont care if its bowling night Emily... sit there until you are at least starting to drop... oh wait.. im on the forum.. not talking to my DD....hehe:p

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would not let DD do anything more strenuous than walking if she was over 300.

10. Blue

Blue Approved members

We have found that if we pay attention to our toddler he automatically gets less active when he's high. If he goes from running around like crazy (normal) to crawling up on the couch asking for "mulk" (milk - what he calls a sippy cup no matter what is in it :p) to grab his meter. Then if he's high we correct and put in a Sesame Street tape to keep him calm.

So no, we don't let him exercise when high. We also use urine ketone strips so can't go by those. Maybe if we could do blood ketone testing it would be different.