- advertisement -

exercise after a low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by natasha, Aug 8, 2013.

1. natasha

natasha Approved members

Just wandering how long you make your child wait to do PE, play outside, swim ect ect after they have been hypo i make mine wait half an hour is that a bit drastic do you think ? :)

2. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

My son's dr has us give 15 grams of glucose, wait 15-20 minutes and recheck. If he's above 120 he's good to go, if not then he gets a snack before he goes out.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

for us it depends on how low and how much active insulin is still going.

So there are times that there is no active insulin and i have her have a juice and then go straight out.

And then there are times that she is low when insulin is peaking and i make sure to give enough to bring up the low and cover the active insulin AND BG is on the rise before i let her go on her merry way, so that could take 10-30 minutes.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It really depends.

A 70 and she wants to bike around on our street - we just treat and let her go. A 70 and she wants to go for a 3 mile run? Then we treat mightily and wait till we see a solid up tick on the cgm or tester. A 45 and she is going out for lax practice - uber treat and wait 15 min, look for arrows up and have her assess how she feels. Generally speaking all these events would demand a portable and available source of glucose in the event that we miscalculated.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I like the expression "uber treat" and will start using it here.. :)

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

of course that "uber treat" can bite you in the ass 2 hrs later. Honestly, the more I learn the less I realize I know. You do the best you can.