- advertisement -

Exchange Student with T1D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GaPeach, Oct 2, 2013.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We are hosting an exchange student with T1D. She arrived yesterday. Along with the general "getting to know each other" time, we talked about diabetes care.

I had put together a basket for her bedside that included juice boxes, smarties, dehydrated fruit bits and peanut butter crackers. She smiled and had a hardy thank you. Then she asked, "How do I tell you I am - what you say low?" I responded just say, "I'm low." Then she said, "I can get really mean."

I assured her that I was quite familiar with moodiness with low BG. I told her that when our daughter is mean to us or her siblings, I tell her to check her BG and "you better be low!" She laughed and said, "That's what my mom says too!"

She handed me her glucagon and smiled. She welcomes middle of the night checks because they check at her house too.

At supper, I asked her if she counts sugars/carbs or has a fixed dose of insulin. She picked up her cell phone and checked a translation app and responded, "I guess them".

Ah ha moment - Diabetes is universal!!!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I wish you all the luck and hope it all goes well.

Google Translate is your friend.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

That is nice of you and your family to welcome her; where is she from?
    Good luck, sounds like she might learn some helpful techniques from your family!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I hope you guys have a great time together!

If it was me, and I was the parent of the child, I would sooooo be breathing a sigh of relief knowing that my child was with a family that "got it!"

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Lucky you - this will be great! :)

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

She's from Germany. I know her mom was nervous. An American student from our school stayed at her house this past summer. He assured the parents that we would keep her safe and healthy.

I installed an app on my phone to convert BG's.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Sounds like a wonderful experience!

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

YEAH! Bravo to your family and hers for taking this giant leap, enjoy the experience :)

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

What a wonderful experience for all involved! :)

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm sure you're in for a great year. I was an exchange student to Germany and it was a life changing experience.

May I ask which program you are going through? My daughter would love to be an exchange student.

11. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

The school I work in just for a T1D foreign exchange student from Germany, too. Wow! Small world, huh?

12. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

What is the app

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

The German teacher at our high school works through GAPP - German American Exchange Program - http://www.goethe.de/ins/us/lp/prj/gapp/enindex.htm?wt_sc=gapp

Yes, small world. Sure wish that T1D was not a part of it though.

App is called Sugar Test Converter

We've had a great week. BG's have cooperated. We went to Bruster's Ice Cream last night. Hopefully, the day will start with BG's in range in spite of the wonderful late night ice cream!

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hope you all have a wonderful experience! :cwds:

15. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

Way to Go!

This is so awesome! What a blessing for your exchange student, and for her parents. You are an inspiration. We're in NE ATL. Looking you up on FB.