- advertisement -

Excess blood, how does your CDW clean up? POLL

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jan 6, 2012.

?

method of clean up

1. Got a licker/sucker.

44 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Wash hands/finger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wipe on tissue/ wet wipe

26 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Wipe on clothing-shirt/pants/socks

22 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. Nothing-lets it dry on finger/no visable excess

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Something more interesting-please post

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. athena011

athena011 New Member

I cut up a paper towel into little squares and tuck those into the inside pocket of his Accu-chek case.

2. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

she wipes hers on her meter case. good thing that thing is black, she has been doing it for months...ew gross

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Ditto. Not sure how long she's been doing it. I toss it in the washer a bit more frequently now.;)

Whenever I do her check, I'll just use the alkie that I cleaned her finger with.

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

At home, he wipes it on his pants, at school the nurse makes him use a tissue. So it just depends where he is.

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan wipes his finger on his shirt mostly. I wipe my thumb across the extra blood and wipe it on my pants. But, like Christopher said, with the Freestyle there is usually such a small amount of blood there isn't much to wipe.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, when I test I wipe it off with my finger then wipe on my pants usually or bathrobe;)

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler is a licker ;)
    When I test him, I just wipe it on my clothes :D

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Wait, do you toss the whole meter case into the wash?? For real! That's brilliant if so, please verify, ALL of his are NASTY and washing in the washer never occurred to me, I feel sort of stupid now!

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

He wipes it on the meter. Sometimes the case, but lately, the actual meter. I find blood smears over the front of it. It's truly disgusting actually.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Sometimes she licks the blood off, sometimes she wipes it on her clothes, usually she just rubs it into her skin with her thumb.

11. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I have to say when I looked at the results thus far and saw 0% by the wash hands I chuckled. My son either uses his clothes, a tissue or the pump case to wipe it on. If I am near him he will wipe it on me instead of himself.

In the middle of the night, I wipe his finger with mine and then almost always on the wash cloth I cleaned his finger with. I should probably just use the wash cloth instead of my finger first:rolleyes:

12. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Ben & Lilly do this too. Why dirty something else!:)

13. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

:D..I do the same thing...

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK, I really did not think there would be that many lickers!

Maybe some Meter maker needs to include some sort of absorbant yet washable peice to their meter case?

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm with those whose children do not have enough blood left on their fingers to do anything with!

16. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I use the alcohol pad that cleaned his finger to begin with. I also take the strip out of the meter with the same pad because I don't want the blood to get on my fingers... :p

17. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Adam is 5....if he tests himself, he licks his finger, or it ends up on his pants. :) And for the record (after reading Jen's post about the nurse not liking the finger licking) I've watched Adam do the same thing in the nurse's office and she's never said a word to Adam about it!

When I test him, I wipe it away with MY thumb and then I usually end up with blood streaks on my hands. :)

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I suck the blood from my finger because it makes my finger feel better and it's part of the whole ritual and I don't like getting blood on stuff. And (this is a rationalization) there're antibiotics in saliva.

19. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've always been a sucker, ever since I came out of DKA and tested my own bg for the first time. while I was in the hospital they would give me a piece of gauze to wipe it off with but I would just put the on the table, by the time we left there were a lot!

Honestly I would still lick my finger after testing even if there was something in the case to wipe with, it makes your finger feel better.