- advertisement -

Ever Have A Pharmacist Talk Shmack About You To A Co-worker Within Earshot of You?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, May 11, 2012.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Well I'm a single mom who is soon to be working, hopefully. I have to have a place that's open whenever my schedule will allow me to get to picking prescriptions up, since my kids are too young to drive and I don't have anyone else to do it. Besides, we don't have any small family places around this town, even if I wanted one. We have a few big chains and that's it. Walgreens, CVS ,Walmart, and Target.

2. MamaBear

And as far as personal care goes, really just fill the Rx and don't call me names until I leave.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't tell if your annoyed with me for my post, the pharmacist for being a jerk, the pharmacist for being incompetent or just the fact that you have to go to the pharmacy every month. :confused:

If the two big chains have not met your expectations and you have no independently run pharmacies then it looks like you're sort of stuck... let's hope the big chains are a better fit.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think you, unfortunately, failed to equate her User ID to her temperament.

5. MamaBear

No I wasn't annoyed with your post at all. Just stating that basically I am stuck. I don't have a ton of options that allow me to be terribly picky. ETA I do have to admit though what is in bold above was a pretty silly thing for you to say. Why would I be annoyed at doing the things I need to do in order to keep my children well and safe?

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Weeelll, as a single working mom in a rural state, there are no such things as 24 hour pharmacies in my state. I go to Rite Aid. They are open from 8 am to 8 pm everyday. They are great. And I always somehow find the time to make it in.

I'll be honest, being a single working mom is not the best excuse to stick with a crappy pharmacy.

7. MamaBear

I don't recall saying I was sticking with a crappy pharmacy at all. Nor was I using it as an excuse. I'm saying I don't have the options that say a parent with a partner, or other family members to help may have. If it's all on me I have to find a way to make it work. And if I cannot get to a pharmacy before it closes in order to pick up an Rx, due to whatever work schedule I end up with, then what good does that do my son?

Seems like tonight is once again put words in someone else's mouth night eh? I've gone above and beyond to keep my kids safe and well cared for, for over a decade with no help, so don't presume to think I'd slack off in the D department and use being single as an excuse. :rolleyes:

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

May I ask why you don't want to do mail order? It is the ultimate in convenience. Perhaps you are worried it would get stolen? Just wondering. My daughter is now a single parent since she was widowed, and that is what has worked well for her. I hope you find a solution that will take away some of the hassle!

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sorry if I misinterpreted your posts. And I believe you misinterpreted mine. I just hate the excuse of being a single mom thrown around - honestly, I find it offensive. You said in 2 or 3 posts that it was harder for you to get to the RX because you were a single mom.

I was pretty much just kidding around in my post. But honestly, I don't see anyone here saying you slack in the D department and it is shame that you read that into the posts.

I see you saying that you can't switch pharma's because of your potential work hours and the fact that it is just you.

That is what you typed. No reading into it so please do not be mad that I said being a single mom doesn't mean that you can't make it to the pharmacy.

I guess I should have stuck with Hugs :rolleyes:.

10. MamaBear

Well actually you mis read totally because I did say SEVERAL times that I AM switching pharmacies, and that I am looking for a place that is open LATE so that I can find something to fit into my schedule. Why would i be looking for something that is open late, if I was going to stick with the crappy pharmacy?:confused: :rolleyes:

11. MamaBear

I wouldn't worry about theft actually, I don't know of any theft that really happens in our neighborhood, and anything left at my door would really be out of sight of anyone passing by. I would worry about it being delivered when I am not home, and left sitting in the heat. It's already into triple digits here and I would be terrified the strips and insulin would spoil if it sat out for hours while I was at work.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well yes - I did totally miss that part of your posts.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

Oh, I see. It gets up to 110 here also, but I believe they are delivered in some kind of ice chest. I will check with my daughter.

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

You could move here! I love our pharmacy (it is in a local chain grocery/everything else store). If we have problems with the insurance then they take it personally and get to the bottom of things themselves whenever they can. They have given me a day or two of one of my daughter's arthritis medicines several different times because that prescription seems to give the insurance company fits almost every month. They aren't open terribly late but I'm there often enough myself (seven prescriptions in our family all on different refill schedules) that I would be happy to help you out by getting what you need.

Seriously, I hope you find a pharmacy that will do what needs to be done to get your prescriptions filled without a headache every month. It seems when there are few options then there is little incentive for the pharmacy employees to work to keep your business.

15. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

What about somewhere that opens early? You don't have a work schedule yet, correct? Are you anticipating a 12-hour a day schedule? I've used CVS (one right on my way to work) and Walgreens (right near my house), and even a small family-owned pharmacy when I couldn't find IV Prep anywhere. They had Saturday hours. Granted, I do live in a major city, and I don't fill any scripts at the last minute so a couple of days isn't a problem if I have to wait. Mail-order is awesome, though. Good luck with your job search, and I hope you find one with mail-order pharmacy benefits.

Oh, I'm also a single mom with no partner and no one to have running my errands for me.

16. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

While the pharmacist in the OP was wrong to give his opinion on the matter, this is absolutely not true. A pharmacist has more knowledge about drugs than the people prescribing them in many cases, as they have an extensive education solely about drugs. A good pharmacist is worth their weight in gold. In the office as an NP student I often don't have time or models to do the teaching I'd like to when I start a patient on say a new inhaler. The pharmacist will do it. At my job as a transplant nurse, the pharmacist comes to multidisciplinary rounds and it's a valuable resource helping us look for drug interactions, dosing complicated drugs, and giving advice on drugs that may work better for the patient. A pharmacist is extremely important to catch dosing errors, drug interactions, allergy cross-reactions, and do teaching. Their job absolutely is to give advice. And more than likely, the tech, not the pharmacist, actually filled the script.

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our insurance forces us to use mail order. But you know when a shipment is coming and you can have it shipped to an alternate address, like your work. The insulin comes with ice packs and overnight. The strips don't unless they're in the same shipment with the insulin. We've never had any issues but it doesn't get super hot here either.

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

It is amazing how many of us have this experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

We normally have A1C checked at endos office with a fingerstick, but once a year go to a lab for a blood draw to do mutliple tests.
    Once, years ago, this lab tech asked how many times I checked DD's BG and then shook her head at me.

She said she was a retired nurse and then gave me a little primer on how to prep a patient by "letting the hand hang down for several minutes before doing the finger stick." She told me that with this method she always got very accurate BG results and that if I did this too, I would only have to check DD once a day :eek:. Unbelievable!

It was one of the few times I stopped myself from engaging in a debate about D-care, because I knew there was no hope for enlightening her. I confined myself to a simple, "The recommendations for testing people with type 1 diabetes have changed a lot in recent years. Thanks." But I was really steamed anyway.

19. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We've had great service from Walgreen's too. I had to race to a Walgreen's in Colorado for a new vial of insulin after ours got cooked (didn't think about the huge lovely window in the room facing WEST - left the Frio pack on the dresser and it got quite warm in the blazing sunlight). The pharmacist had our records and waited for me to get there (a few minutes past closing time). Our local folks are always busy, but nice and competent. I can't imagine being treated like some of the incidents people have related here!

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If you get a job where you could have supplies delivered to your office, I cannot recommend a mail-order pharmacy enough. Ours was life-changing.