- advertisement -

Ever feel like this sometimes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dylan'sMom, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Dylan'sMom

Dylan'sMom Approved members

Yesterday was just a bad Diabetes day in our house and almost all of it seemed to center around the pump. BG and ketones were high (in both kids) and it seemed like every time I would figure out what was causing it (which was frequently pump related) and correct it, something else would go wrong (once again, pump related). Numbers in the 400's, ketones upwards of 1.5 and the general crappyness that comes with it seemed to plague our day. Be it bad sites, kinked canulas, bubbles in the tubing or reservoir, the pump seemed to be where the problem always centered. By the end of the day, both me and the kids were questioning whether the pump is really even worth all of this. Don't get me wrong-I realize and greatly appreciate how much easier pumping has made living with Diabetes but at the same time I wonder if pumping is really that much easier or if by moving from MDI we just traded one evil for another. Maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that shots would make this any less difficult. Besides, this is diabetes we're talking about which isn't exactly synonymous with easy. :rolleyes:

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Sorry you started the day off feeling down. What makes it worse is that with diabetes there are so many things that can go 'wrong' and you feel like they wouldn't be going wrong if you made other choices - MDI instead of pump, different site, different insulin, etc. etc. etc. It's just no fun no matter what you do.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Sorry you had such a bad day.:( We've certainly had our days with bad sites and kinked cannulas as well...but I would never give up the convenience that the pump brings to my son's life (and mine). It's a very personal choice. We only did MDI for a year after he was dx, and I would feel like I was going back to the stone age if we had to do MDI again. I never learned any of the "tricks" that I've read about here regarding MDI...we remained very basic for that year, and it felt extremely limiting to me.

If your kids are older, they certainly should have a big say in their D management. I hope things smooth out and the rewards of pumping outweigh some of the occasional inconveniences. But, either way, I hope you find the management choice that is best for you and your kids. Good luck!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can honestly say that I've not had one nanosecond of time in the past 4.5 years where I've wondered if MDI might be better than the pump. But we've had maybe one bad site in that time, and almost no problems with bubbles in the tubing or reservoir.

Hope today is better!

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Sorry you had a bad day. Hope it's better from now on. A few things to keep in mind:

- make sure insulin is at room temp. I've read on here that cold insulin increases the chance for bubbles.

- if you're on cannulas, try a steel set. No chance of kinking. And the steel sets are not as bad as you'd think. The smallest needle is actually...small.

- don't hit the reservoir too hard. That can cause more bubbles to form.

- I don't know if this is what everyone does, but I hold the pump with the reservoir upwards and the tubing in a straight line, with the needle facing down, and then prime. You can vision the insulin going through and you see if most of the bubbles are out.

- use something to keep the site in place, like Tegaderm, Hypafix or Opsite Flexifix

I can't compare MDI vs pump. We've been on the pump since dx.;)

HTH

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Pumping can definitely suck. There are so many more variables that can go wrong. The quick highs and ketones can definitely cause one to wonder if it's worth it. Some people are taking some of their basal via Lantus shots along with pumping to help with this. DD has taken pump breaks every year, though they are getting shorter each time. She does her sites and reservoir fills herself and it is not unusual for her to not change the tubing so many times that it eventually weakens. I think the $20 per site cost causes me great annoyance when several sites fail, even if it is not out of pocket.

I would try and ride it out as long as they let you. The kids may not be happy about having to take a shot every time they eat again and you would definitely miss the flexibility going through these growing years.

7. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

I haven't wanted to go back to injections with DD, but the other day I blew two sites when we drew blood in both. The time was nearing for my dh to come home, so we waited for him to try. At that point, she and I were both too traumatized to get it right. Then, I noticed how low we are on her sites. We just received the order about a month ago and we are almost through our second box (we get three in a shipment).

Yes, I understand.