- advertisement -

Eventfull Week!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Ok so this is how my week started.

Makaela has been doing great. Its only been three months since diagnosis, but since Feb we havent really been having too high BG levels. So Sunday they started to creep up. Around 200-250's. Funny thing is just two weeks before we increased her Lantis to 13 units. So anyways, by Tuesday her levels were still running a little high, so i disposed of her insulin and replaced it with new, thinking it was bad. Well Wednesday morning we had to come to the hospital to get some lab work done on her. The lab required her to be fasting so I woke her an hour earlier than normal, 6am, and took her to the lab. Upon arriving at the hospital I looked in her bag and realized she didnt replace her monitor. But I thought its ok, we are going right back to the house and she has been running high anyways. So the lab girl stuck her and then guess what......SHE STARTED SEIZING!!!!!! I started screaming get the ER down here now. Stunned, the lab personell just stared at me like i was crazy. Then they saw she was seizing and called. In the meantime, I was trying to pull up the glugacon...not easy when your shaking half to death. By the time I got it pulled up she stopped seizing and she starting screaming "INJECT ME NOW!!!" The ER finally made it there, which seemed like 30 minutes, but was surely only a couple. They told me not to inject her since she was coherent! So i didnt. They gave her a coke and told her to drink. We got her in the wheel chair and started tword the ER and Makaela looked up at me and pointed at her mouth. She was clinching down and couldnt stop. "I was like look yall have to walk faster, she is about to seize again". Finally made it in to the ER and she is better. They did a CT of her head and said everything was normal...and get this....They tested her BG from her lab work and said her sugar preseizure was 149!!! WHAT! Story goes on that she seized from holding her breath when getting her lab work done. Really scared me!! They said she was ok and let her go home a few hours later. Well since then, we have not had a BG level under 320. Its been 5 days! I dont know what to do. I am calling her endo tomorrow, but something is really going on and I am not sure what it is. So my week has been hectic! But I guess I got a crash test on what to do when she seized! Thank god we were already at the hospital cause I completley paniced!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

All I have to say is lots of {{{{HUGS}}}}

3. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am speechless. Ugh. Makes two of us for the <<<<<<<<hug>>>>>>>>>!!!

4. bogusrogus

bogusrogus Approved members

Oh boy, remember "Breathe in, breathe out:cwds:

5. Boo

Boo Approved members

Wow...that's scary!

After so many high days in a row, does she have ketones?

6. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Hypercarbia(retention of CO2) can cause seizures because as CO2 levels increase, blood flow going to the brain is reduced; ultimately leading to a seizure. Breathe in, breath out... :)

7. Abuchanan

amazingly not one ketone that is testing 3-4 times a day!

8. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

wow, what a scary experience. But you didn't completely panic -- you called their attention to what was going on, told them to do the right thing, and were prepared to give the glucagon if necessary -- so GOOD JOB!

Hope you get through to your endo tomorrow. She probably just needs her doses raised. Some people end their honeymoon all at once, some in little steps. Aaron needed his insulin doses raised on average every three months since diagnosis. If Makaela happens to be in a growth spurt, for example, she may need her doses temporarily raised until her growth slows down -- growth hormone increases insulin resistance.

Good luck -- hope you see some nice in range numbers soon!

9. Noel

Noel Approved members

Oh my!!! I am sorry for your awful experience! <<<<<hugs also!!>>>>>>

10. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Wow, and I thought having my son at 27 the other day was bad. So sorry to hear this and it does sound like either she is coming out of honeymoon pretty quickly and/or growth spurt.

Hang in there MOM. Lot of {{{{{hugs}}}}.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

You are right .Watching your child have a seizure is certainly scary and I am glad you were already at the hospital having lab work done. You need to find out what caused the seizures and I can guarantee it was not from holding her breath. I think it was from a rapidly dropping blood sugar or something else. The reason I said it was not from holding her breath is because I have a nephew who is 15 and legally blind and he has life-threatening grand mal seizures (tonic-clonic) and I have been with him enough and called 911 and had him transported via helicopter to Children's here in Seattle on life support to know and then calling his parents to meet him there while I stay behind to watch the other 3 children.

I think they thought that because the second time she was clenching her mouth, which was definitely a sign of another seizure albeit a small one.
    I think I have aunt radar because my nephew gives off a certain look just before a seizure and I can spot them from across the room.

I am glad you are talking with the Endo about this. Hopefully he will send you to a neurologist to figure out what happened. 149 should not cause seizures. I think she was dropping rapidly. Keep an eye out for any strange behaviors that she cannot controll like jaw clenching, uncontrollable eye movements, drooling, etc. and mark it down. Also check her blood sugars often when this happens

My heart goes out to you. You went through a horribly scary experience and I would not wish it on anyone.

12. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Holding your breath CAN and WILL cause seizures if for a long enough period of time (varies from person to person). When you hold your breath CO2 levels increase significantly, oxygen levels going to the brain drop significantly, and the blood vessels in the brain itself constrict. Lack of blood flow AND proper oxygenation to the brain WILL cause a seizure.

I have seen more than one case of this(damn college frat kids). I am not saying that something else couldnt have caused one in this case, but more than likely it WAS caused by holding her breath. Rapidly dropping sugar levels in the presence of normal glucose values will NOT cause a seizure unless there is a lack of glucose going to the brain itself for some reason. With a BG in the 140's this indicates plenty of sugar going to the brain. Seizure probably not caused by a normal BG, even if the sugar dropped quickly.

13. Abuchanan

Thanks everyone for the information. I hope we get her straightened out quickly before she starts spilling keytones. I too think she just ended her honeymoon period, but I am still too new at this to adjust her insulin myself.

14. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

Wow! That would scare the pants off of me!! You did good!! You handled it!
    I wanted to comment also on the continiuos hi's she's having. Chris was dx last Oct and in Jan ( about 3 months into dx) out of no where he was constantly hi,even when we gave insulin. We just happened to be switching Dr.'s and CDE's at that time. The CDE said 2 things were happening- 1: was that his pancreas wasn't producing as much insulin as it had been so he was not honeymooning as strongly as the start of all of this. And 2: that we needed to increase the Lantus and increase the dose's of Novolog. So essentially it was time to tweak his doses. After about a week we had a new "normal" AGAIN. I can't say if your situation is the same but it sounded really similiar when I read you post. Just wanted to share our situation to lend some understanding and thoughts. Take care and I hope the Endo gives you some insight to the seizure AND the hi readings. :cwds: ~~Jennifer

15. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Yep! I know you think that you panicked, but you didn't! You did exactly what you were supposed to! Even if you would have had her meter there, you still wouldn't have checked her BG until after you gave the glucagon. So you did great!!!

Big hugs! ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

I am so not a medical professional, so take this with a grain of salt. I think it is good you are looking into this, but I think her holding her breath certainly could have caused the seizure. Our physiology is so complex and it is amazing how much our mind can mess with our body. My ex-husband passes out every single time he has blood drawn. He says that blood and needles doesn't make him nervous but his body says otherwise.

16. Abuchanan

Ok so I got ahold of the Diabetic Ed. at Makaelas dr office and she told me to increase her Lantis 2 units....im scared! I have only increased by one each time. So anyway she said try that for two days and increase by one after that if she dosent come down. Hopefully she wont bottom out. Her Dr is 5 hours in away in Austin so its kinda scary!