- advertisement -

Even 4 year olds recognize low blood sugar

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jul 28, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My four year old son is amazing! He is so in-tune with his body he can tell you when he is low. If he says "I need a snack" - you better listen and get him something.

Today we took off his pump to go swimming (b/s 150). I usually check him every hour. At 45 minute mark he said "I Need a snack." I immediately took him out of the pool and checked - 49! I couldn't believe he was that low and I didn't even see any signs (usually he cries alot when he gets low - but not this time).

I totally tell his teachers to PAY ATTENTION if he says he needs a snack. He usually is right. That is great!

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sooo happy for you! :):) This makes everything easier!

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Thats awesome. It reminded me of a girl in my preschool class a few yrs ago. She said to me " I got the feeling!" it was so cute but I had no idea what she meant until I talked to her mom, it meant she needed to use the bathroom. So after that, I paid attention. It would be important for adults to know that he means low, not just I'm hungry.

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

That is wonderful..It does make it eaiser when they can feel their lows.:)

5. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Lilly always knew when she was low. From the time she was able to verbalize it, she would tell us she felt "ooey & gooey":D!!

6. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

That is great! My dd is the same way and has used the same terminology since diagnosis. I always tell people, "If she says she's hungry, give her a snack."

I agree with this. I also need to teach my dd to speak up if the person is not responding and say, "I think I am low." or "I need to check my blood sugar."

Most people have been great about it and jump right on it when she says something. The one time that didn't happen was one Sunday with her Sunday School teacher. This was pre-pump, if I remember correctly. She had just given the class a Valentine's Day bag with candy and goodies in it. DD kept telling her, "I'm hungry." The teacher kept trying to distract her and even told dd she was going to take her bag away if she kept on. The teacher finally came and got me. As soon as I saw dd, I knew she was low. She had circles under her eyes and she was pale. She was starting to sweat, too. I immediately gave her a juice box and told her to start drinking. Then, I checked her. She was 49 or 39, I can't remember which at this point. I was livid! I never said anything to the teacher other than, "She's usually pretty accurate. You can always come and get me."

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

It is great news that your child does not have hypoglycemic unawareness. Truly a good thing. :cwds:

8. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

My daughter also has told me she was low a few times and has been right every time. The first time she was 35 and we both new something was wrong. Then at her last dance class a few weeks ago she told her teacher she wanted to sit out and I went right over to her and she told me to test her and she was 47. I guess it's a good thing....

9. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

That's awesome that he can tell. My son is 4, and we're 2.5 years into this. He has no idea when he's low. I think he's recognized it once. He acts fine until he gets into the 30s. I keep hoping he'll develop some awareness, but so far, nothing.

10. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Thats nice, when my DD is low I repeat to her that she is low I hope it will help teach her what it is she is feeling like.

11. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

When Meredith was low the first year or so after diagnosis, I always asked her what her body felt like after I tested her and she was low. After about 6 months she could tell when she was low. She was about 3 then. She is pretty good about knowing when she is low and is rarely wrong. A point I make very strongly to others who care for her.

12. Bear

Bear Approved members

My son turned three at the end of May and has started telling us when he feels low. But we still treat him with the same suspicion that we would a new Dex site. He has made the association between Smarties and lows but is not old enough to understand the importance of being truthful when discussing his bg. I'd say he's actually low about half the time.