- advertisement -

European Customs, Need original insulin box or will prescription & travel letter do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by obtainedmist, Feb 14, 2013.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Would appreciate any current experiences! My daughter is flying to Berlin tomorrow and I'm hoping that she can get through customs with her paper prescriptions and travel letter rather than the box the insulin came in. Just wondering! Thanks for any responses!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I just flatten the boxes and put them in a zip lock with paper copies and letter. I figure for an important trip, better safe than sorry.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think I ever intentionally brought the box along on international flights, though I suspect all my back-up insulin would have been boxed. The only one who is going to look at it is the boarding security agent and they have always been more interested in the juice boxes than in the insulin.:rolleyes:

If she has nothing to declare then Customs won't even look, unless she's pulled out for some random check and even then I doubt they'd be concerned. That said, if it makes her feel safer she should bring one along.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Replying quickly. 30+ flights to/from Europe in the past few years and while I have kept the insulin in the boxes I have never had anyone pay any attention to it. They tend to have more issues with the cake icing then anything else and the CGM site then anything else just going through the security line. I don't even bring a travel letter anymore. You can bring them to be safe but I would not worry!

Just FYI about the full body scanners. I am not sure what your pump company says but I am not comfortable going through them with my pump. I just tell them that I can't go through the scanner and that I would like them to do the pat-down. It has never really been a problem.

5. obtainedmist

Thanks! Molly does the same now after having some problems with her Ping!

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We went overseas last year. I brought the boxes flatten...but NO ONE asked for them at all. I think the travel letter should be fine if Molly doesn't have her original persription box. Instead of juice boxes we brought Dex4 drinks, although we delt with more high bgs # than lows. :rolleyes:

7. obtainedmist

Thanks All! I feel much better knowing there is wiggle room for her! :)

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We flew thru Frankfurt, Germany this summer. I didn't have the packaging or a prescription. Just the vials in the Frio pack. Had no issues at all.

9. obtainedmist

Great news! I'll relay all this to the world traveler!

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We travelled to China this spring with our oldest son to adopt our youngest. I had gone through every scenario in my head of issues we'd have with security due to insulin, pump supplies, and such. I had a lengthy letter from our doctor, had it translated into both Mandarin and Cantonese. We had more issues with security at Logan in Boston than we did in Beijing, Changsha, and Hong Kong. Go figure :)

11. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Just saw this - my son flew to Berlin on 2/14 - had no problem at all - I just made copies of the rxs and he has a letter from the dr. just in case.