- advertisement -

ereaders - anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by jules12, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I am actually looking into this as a possible gift for my daughter's birthday - the new ones are less than an ipod touch. I am torn between the kindle 3 wifi and the nook wifi. What I haven't been able to figure out is if she would be able to access the internet and do simple searches or facebook on it - she always has her nose in a book - she has an old ipod....I can't afford an IPAD so that is out of the question. I like the nook because you can checkout books from the library.....but amazon store has cheaper books. Any thoughts?

2. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I'm no help. I'm dead set on the E-reader on my phone and can't live without it.

3. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

I just ordered the kindle from Amazon, though it is backordered until 2nd week in Sept. Looking forward to getting it. Got it because of the free and low price books available. I know you can go online with it but I'm not sure if you can do apps like facebook or not. No help here!!

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We bought the amazon kindle at Target for $189 a few weeks ago for my daughters birthday. We didn't want to wait for the newest version since it was her bday. She is thrilled with it. You can access the internet with it, searches, email etc. Works best for some sites than others because all black & white, and the page formatting is different. She has bought a few books...I think the most expensive was $10, and she has downloaded some free stuff too.

5. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Not to overwhelm you, but this is an excellent site for all things to do with ebooks: MobileRead Forums. They have an entire section entitled "E-Book Readers" with a subform called "Which one should I buy?"

Personally, I love using Stanza on my iPod touch. I use Calibre to move books from my PC to my touch. You may know this already, but almost every site that offers free books is mirroring the Project Gutenberg site.

6. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I have and love my nook. The reason is I can borrow books from our local library and download them to my nook. I would not be able to do this if I were to have the kindle. My tip would be to check and see if your library system offers ebooks.
    Wendy

7. Noel

Noel Approved members

I have and love the nook. Like the previous post say, I can borrow books from my library with it. Additionally another reason why DH picked this for me over the Kindle is that he tought others could get me Barnes & Noble GC's for different occasions, they were easier to "pick up" then amazon.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well I adore my iPad, so that isn't helpful if it's not in your budget, but I also read a lot on my iPhone... I don't always take my iPad with me depending on where I go, but I've read a lot on my phone and it's not as small and cramped as one might expect.

Nook and Kindle make apps for most devices now (iphone, android, blackberry, etc).. I don't know if the nook one lets you "borrow" books the way the nook itself can, but I do like that with the iPad (and my iPhone) I am not limited to only buying books through one marketplace.. they all have things that others don't, so it's nice to be able to shop around.

If you are considering an iPod touch, I'd honestly go that route... it's usable as a reader, plus she'd be able to use other applications (games, educational stuff, productivity, etc), use it as an iPod, etc. You can get a refurbished one for as low as $149 (they have ones with more storage too). You can get applecare on a refurbished item just like a new one, and the warranty is essentially the same if you do.

I was actually planning on getting my 9 year old a iPod Touch for his 10th birthday, but then I ended up giving him my old iPhone when I upgraded.. and he's super thrilled to have it.

9. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

I recently bought the nook, and i love it! I bought the 3G version for a little more, but you can use the internet and download books where WiFi isn't available. On a recent road trip, i was able to download a new book from the car! You can also browse the internet, read magazines and play soduku or chess. I'm sure you can do that with the Kindle as well, but I liked the fact that you can walk into a Barnes and Noble, purchase the nook, and bring it there if you have any problems or if it gets "glitchy". Good luck - i'm sure she'll love whatever you decide on!

10. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I have a Kindle 2, and love it. I don't know about the new Kindle 3's internet, but on the 2 its kinda like using the internet on your phone. I can access facebook on it pretty easy as well as search stuff on google, but it doesn't beat using your computer. I wouldn't really buy it just for the internet part, because thats not its best feature. The screens on these things are amazing! Your eyes don't hurt even after staring at the screen for hours like I do reading.

As far as books and material... The Kindle Book Store is relatively cheap compared to something like going out and buying a new york best seller. Normally they're what? $20, and in the Kindle Store they're about $10. They're are free books in the store, but they might not be what your daughter likes to read. Another thing is you don't have to get books from the Kindle Store. They're are LOTS of other websites where you can download books for free, or really cheap.

11. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks so much for everyone's replies - I found out our library does not loan ebooks right now. They might look into that in the future.

The facebook option was just a side note because she would like that at well. We have a laptop and regular computer at home but we still have times were everyone is waiting to the use the computer. I thought having that option would be an added plus.

The main reason is that both her and my room and all the bookshelves around the house are overloaded with books....I don't have room for anymore.

I think I am leaning toward the Kindle 3

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

I have the kindle 2 and I love it. I have 'bought' lots of free books that I have enjoyed as well as the $9 ones. A lot of the classics are free and if your daughter is a reader she will enjoy those. One thing I like about it is how long the battery lasts. It is amazing. I also like being able to change the orientation of the page depending on if I am lying down or sitting up etc. I recieved my kindle as a gift and I was so happy to get it! Your daughter will love which ever one you choose!

13. Illinifan

Don't give up on this yet. Your location is stated only as the Midwest, but here in Ohio, if your location library is not part of one of the digital collection consortiums, then you can request to get access to one or more of the collections through the state run e-book program. If you aren't in Ohio, your state might have the same deal.

14. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I have to agree with Brian. Ours is a part of a big NJ group. I can't tell you how many counties or others are in the list but I do know it is more then just our county library system. It is really a nice option to be able to borrow books for free. Amazon bit the big one on that thing. You also can access the internet on the nook too. Sorry I didn't tell you that, I have my own laptop so don't use that feature much at all.
    Wendy

15. Illinifan

Spent some time on MobileRead last night and learned some stuff. First, the Kindle doesn't do ebooks from libraries very well. The second is that the Free Library of Philadelphia has a good collection of ebooks and anybody can sign up for it. Despite the name, it does cost $15 annually but that's not bad.

16. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks for all the replies. I was talking with her today and she doesn't like touch screens - doesn't pick that for her phone and that is why she hasn't wanted an Ipod Touch. Therefore, even though I like the library part of it, I placed an order for a Kindle 3 today.

Illinifan - thanks for the info - I did find out that if I would get a Kindle (which I hope to down the road) we could share books as long as they are on the same account....we could even read the same book at the same time. I currently like to read the books she is reading just because she reads above her level and I like to know what is in some of those books....especially since she is a big fantasy reader.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  17. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I love my Kindle.

My mother thought she wouldn't be able to go from reading a traditional book, to an ereader...once she got her hands on mine, she loved it, too. So she got one for Christmas last year.

I like the fact I can bring my library of books anywhere I go. Another co-worker and the off duty police officer who works evening shift with me also has a Kindle. We are always discussing our latests books and novels together. Kind of like a Kindle Reading Group LOL.

Kindleboards dot com has a lot of great insight on free books, and deals.

They also showed me how to get your own screensaver on....of course, I went with these two guys;)

[​IMG]

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

My mom can't live without her kindle...which sucks for me cause now I can't read her books when she is done!

19. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

LOVE my Kindle!! We are on vacation right now, and I have 139 books with me!:p;)

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I adore my Kindle. My dad and I recently went on a road trip. While I was driving he played with it. He was convinced he would hate it, and ended up really enjoying it, asking me to use it throughout the trip, and figuring out how to do things with it easily himself. It was a great purchase for me. I may even upgrade to the Kindle 3, even though I just got my Kindle!